Do you think the type of school you attend affects your quality of learning? Watch

LS1998
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I went to a Comprehensive with around a 50%
5 A*-C average, D average at A-Level and is marked below average for that.

I surpassed the results of my Comprehensive, but I can’t help but wonder what I could have attained if I had been given privatised education, with compulsory contact hours every day, required homework every other etc.

Is going to Oxbridge from Eton even a feat with that as an expectation?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LS1998)
I went to a Comprehensive with around a 50%
5 A*-C average, D average at A-Level and is marked below average for that.

I surpassed the results of my Comprehensive, but I can’t help but wonder what I could have attained if I had been given privatised education, with compulsory contact hours every day, required homework every other etc.

Is going to Oxbridge from Eton even a feat with that as an expectation?
Eton had a 44% offer rate for Cambridge in 2018 (54 applicants, 24 offers).

The average for all Comprehensives was 26%

So yes on the face of it Etonians have an advantage, but if you do well at a Comp (and many do) you can certainly have a realistic shot at Oxbridge or similar.

They do take your academic context into account.
Last edited by Doones; 4 weeks ago
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Doones)
Eton had a 44% offer rate for Cambridge in 2018 (54 applicants, 24 offers).

The average for all Comprehensives was 26%

So yes on the face of it Etonians have an advantage, but if you do well at a Comp (and many do) you can certainly have a realistic shot at Oxbridge or similar.

They do take your academic context into account.
Do they though? Or is it down to the expectations that Etonians will all apply to Oxbridge?

There is a comp school in London that famously puts a huge number of kids through Oxbridge but at a cost.

A former Eton head conceeded that his kids were not very resilient because they only ever experience success.

In many ways comprehensive education does prepare kids forvthe real world very well. Just not necessarily in an academic sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (53)
30.64%
No (90)
52.02%
Don't know (30)
17.34%

Watched Threads