username4398974
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey guys, so I do Psychology, Biology and Maths for A-levels. I want to do biological sciences at uni, however does not having chem put me at a disadvantage (for unis which don’t require it)?
Last edited by username4398974; 9 months ago
SweetSummerx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by randomquestion)
Hey guys, so I do Psychology, Biology and Maths for A-levels. I want to do biological sciences at uni, however does not having chem put me at a disadvantage (for unis which don’t require it)?
Hi I’ve just graduated in a degree in biological sciences and from what I remember unless you want to do biomedical sciences you shouldn’t have any problems with no chemistry. I didn’t do chemistry and got all five offers from Surrey, Reading, Royal Holloway, Kent and Bournemouth so in my experience it’s definitely not a problem.

First year is basically just A-Levels again so you probably have to take chemistry then. I had to put a bit of work into that to catch up with those who had taken Chemistry but it was not too bad
username4398974
Rep:
?
(Original post by SweetSummerx)
Hi I’ve just graduated in a degree in biological sciences and from what I remember unless you want to do biomedical sciences you shouldn’t have any problems with no chemistry. I didn’t do chemistry and got all five offers from Surrey, Reading, Royal Holloway, Kent and Bournemouth so in my experience it’s definitely not a problem.

First year is basically just A-Levels again so you probably have to take chemistry then. I had to put a bit of work into that to catch up with those who had taken Chemistry but it was not too bad
Thank you so much! Bit of a relief!
Last edited by username4398974; 9 months ago
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Moved to biology courses
username4398974
Rep:
?

Also how are the employment opportunities?
SweetSummerx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Also how are the employment opportunities?
Since graduating I’ve done a masters and have just started job hunting. It’s going ok and I’ve had a fair few interviews for lab technician, research technician and research assistant roles. Some of my friends who got jobs after graduating are working in hospital labs and as medical writers. I would say it’s important to get some experience whilst at uni, so summer internships or a year placement are good or sometimes university's offer research assistant jobs to students. Most people I know have got a job within 6 months of looking which is about standard
username4398974
Rep:
?
Since graduating I’ve done a masters and have just started job hunting. It’s going ok and I’ve had a fair few interviews for lab technician, research technician and research assistant roles. Some of my friends who got jobs after graduating are working in hospital labs and as medical writers. I would say it’s important to get some experience whilst at uni, so summer internships or a year placement are good or sometimes university's offer research assistant jobs to students. Most people I know have got a job within 6 months of looking which is about standard
Oh wow that’s amazing ! People usually scare me saying that it isn’t too employable!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (499)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (619)
41.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (303)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.57%

Watched Threads