Space19
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello
I am starting an Occupational Therapy Masters
I’m totally useless in all things tech
Please could someone recommend a decent not too expensive laptop??
Thanks
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Refurbished Lenovo thinkpad. You can get something great value for £200-250. Is that around your budget?
Space19
Rep:
?
(Original post by chazwomaq)
Refurbished Lenovo thinkpad. You can get something great value for £200-250. Is that around your budget?
Thanks I’ll have a look
I did get my boyfriend a levano notepad I think it was a few years ago and it was useless. No memory at all
I have a Sony vaio which was quite expensive, so I’ve been spoilt haha
But can’t afford that again
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe you could bag one of the HP 840 G5's that are on ebay at the moment for less than £300.
Is that what you'd call not too expensive or do we need to drop down to Lenovo L450 £150 territory?
Or getting a laptop for free as a discard from a large corporation?
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Space19)
Hello
I am starting an Occupational Therapy Masters
I’m totally useless in all things tech
Please could someone recommend a decent not too expensive laptop??
Thanks
Hi,

First off, any laptop under (say) £300 brand new really isn't worth your time and effort. It'll have an awful CPU, not enough RAM and so little storage that Windows will complain of lack of storage after a couple of updates.

The most important things in a laptop (or any computer) are the CPU (the brain of the computer - the better this is, the faster your laptop will perform); RAM (short term memory - what programs use to run their tasks - more RAM means you can do more/heavier things at once); and storage (SSDs, or solid state drives, are faster than a traditional hard drive, but will be more expensive for the same amount of storage).

My advice: don't get less than a Core i3 or Ryzen 3 (or equivalent) CPU, 8GB RAM, or 250GB storage (of any type) - no matter what the circumstances. A Celeron/Pentium, 4GB RAM, or 120GB storage, might just about work in the short term, but won't give you much in the way of future proofing (and will be substantially slower).
My recommendations (for any laptop) is a Core i5 / Ryzen 5 CPU or better, 8GB RAM or better, and 500GB+ of any storage type (1TB+ would be ideal).

If you're going for a new device, something like this:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...98848-pdt.html

On the used market, something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-15-DA0...4AAOSwDYNeIYh6

Note: on eBay your target price is about £250 - £300 (depending on model) for Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB+ storage etc.
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
15" laptops are nice for having bigger screens. However they are big and slabby to carry around. They are more like mobile workstations than laptops. The sort of thing you carry from your office to your car and set up on your desk at home or work.

13" laptops are nicely portable, but the screens are pokey if you're used to a 15" or bigger. This sized laptop is what you can expect to be issued with when you start working as an occupational therapist as they are great for carrying around along with all your other work gear. The work around for small screens is having a stand alone monitor and docking station at work or at home or both.

14" laptops are in the middle as a nice compromise, but the leap in how annoying laptops are to carry around is bigger from 14" to 15" than it is from 13" to 14".

Never buy from Currys unless it's a must have today emergency. They are too expensive. Even when they have sales on.

For web browsing, word processing, simple spreadsheets, you don't need a fancy CPU. You just need an SSD hard drive and a lean build (where you don't have a load of crap running in the background). The laptop I'm typing this on now flies for these simple tasks. It's got a 9 year old i5 M520 CPU in it.
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 1 month ago
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
15" laptops are nice for having bigger screens. However they are big and slabby to carry around. They are more like mobile workstations than laptops. The sort of thing you carry from your office to your car and set up on your desk at home or work.

13" laptops are nicely portable, but the screens are pokey if you're used to a 15" or bigger. This sized laptop is what you can expect to be issued with when you start working as an occupational therapist as they are great for carrying around along with all your other work gear. The work around for small screens is having a stand alone monitor and docking station at work or at home or both.

14" laptops are in the middle as a nice compromise, but the leap in how annoying laptops are to carry around is bigger from 14" to 15" than it is from 13" to 14".

Never buy from Currys unless it's a must have today emergency. They are too expensive. Even when they have sales on.

For web browsing, word processing, simple spreadsheets, you don't need a fancy CPU. You just need an SSD hard drive and a lean build (where you don't have a load of crap running in the background). The laptop I'm typing this on now flies for these simple tasks. It's got a 9 year old i5 M520 CPU in it.
I've always used to 15 inch screens, so using anything less seems too small to me. They've also got lighter since the first time I used a laptop.
The difference in performance between the laptops of 2007 and 2020 is massive.
Even the difference between my 1st gen i5 laptop and my 4th gen i7 laptop is there. Both are 15 inch screens.

For portability, something like my Surface Pro 3 is ideal (I got it on the used market at a good price)

SSDs are fine for most people but when you're dual booting different Windows versions and storing a lot of media, your standard 256GB SSD won't go far at all. Since your requirements may change, and you may need more storage as you accumulate files, I recommend 500GB+ in any type.

Ok, it takes a few more seconds to load, but when it's open, you won't tell the difference between my 2TB HDD and a 256GB SSD when it comes to using Word documents and the like. And a 9 year old i5 is still an i5, so it will still have reasonably good perfomance. It's not like an Atom, Celeron or Pentium which you find on low end hardware - those do struggle. Trust me, I used a Lenovo netbook with Intel Celeron CPU/4GB RAM/32GB eMMC, it was abysmal.

as I mentioned before, for most things you can't go wrong with an i3/R3 or better, 8GB RAM or better, and 500GB storage (or more). 250GB is a bit tight, 120GB is really only good if you're using it mostly for on the web (my Surface Pro 3 is 128GB and only has about 75GB remaining after the basics have been installed - that's not much for documents/media/program updates/Windows Update etc), and anything less really isn't an option.
Space19
Rep:
?
Maybe you could bag one of the HP 840 5's that are on ebay at the moment for less than £300.
Is that what you'd call not too expensive or do we need to drop down to Lenovo L450 £150 territory?
Or getting a laptop for free as a discard from a large corporation?
No I was thinking I’d have to spend around £400/500 to be honest
thanks
Space19
Rep:
?
(Original post by spotify95)
Hi,

First off, any laptop under (say) £300 brand new really isn't worth your time and effort. It'll have an awful CPU, not enough RAM and so little storage that Windows will complain of lack of storage after a couple of updates.

The most important things in a laptop (or any computer) are the CPU (the brain of the computer - the better this is, the faster your laptop will perform); RAM (short term memory - what programs use to run their tasks - more RAM means you can do more/heavier things at once); and storage (SSDs, or solid state drives, are faster than a traditional hard drive, but will be more expensive for the same amount of storage).

My advice: don't get less than a Core i3 or Ryzen 3 (or equivalent) CPU, 8GB RAM, or 250GB storage (of any type) - no matter what the circumstances. A Celeron/Pentium, 4GB RAM, or 120GB storage, might just about work in the short term, but won't give you much in the way of future proofing (and will be substantially slower).
My recommendations (for any laptop) is a Core i5 / Ryzen 5 CPU or better, 8GB RAM or better, and 500GB+ of any storage type (1TB+ would be ideal).

If you're going for a new device, something like this:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...98848-pdt.html

On the used market, something like this:
g[/s]H44AAOSwDYNeIYh6]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-15-DA0038NA-INTEL-CORE-I5-8250U-8GB-1TB-15-6-INCH-WIN-10-RF3630/324045065584?hash=item4b72974d70:g:H44AAOSwDYNeIYh6

Note: on eBay your target price is about £250 - £300 (depending on model) for Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB+ storage etc.
Thank you
Sorry I have only just seen your response
Space19
Rep:
?

Thanks
where would you recommend to buy from?
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks
where would you recommend to buy from?
ebay. Pay with Paypal. Put in bids for sensible amounts. EG maximum of £320 for one of the 840 G5's on there at the moment.

Just search for HP 840 G5 on ebay and sort by lowest price first.
Space19
Rep:
?
ebay. Pay with Paypal. Put in bids for sensible amounts. EG maximum of £320 for one of the 840 G5's on there at the moment.

Thank you I’ll look
I’m
Totally clueless with things like this 😂
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Indeed. this is how I got my HP laptop I'm on now (HP 15-p189na). You can get good laptops on eBay for much less than the cost of a new one.
Good performance with plenty of storage (I still prefer HDDs) and the battery is still good also

If anything goes wrong you have eBay's money back guarantee for the first 30 days, then PayPal Protection up to 180 days.
Space19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Indeed. this is how I got my HP laptop I'm on now (HP 15-p189na). You can get good laptops on eBay for much less than the cost of a new one.
Good performance with plenty of storage (I still prefer HDDs) and the battery is still good also

If anything goes wrong you have eBay's money back guarantee for the first 30 days, then PayPal Protection up to 180 days.
Thank you I’m just looking now as my laptop is about to get thrown out of the window haha
don’t suppose you’ve any links 😅
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you I’m just looking now as my laptop is about to get thrown out of the window haha
don’t suppose you’ve any links 😅
I'll have a little look when I can . Ultimately, you don't want to pay more than about £300 or so, you're looking at a Core i5 and 8GB RAM.

I've had good experiences with HPs.

For example, something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-15-ay0...0AAOSw4-teKUmg - meets everything that I'd recommend, and if the 250GB SSD is a bit small, it can be upgraded to a larger size (or a traditional hard drive).
This would also work: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-15-DA0...4AAOSwDYNeIYh6 (actually, this is better as it is a newer CPU and more storage)

basically anything along the lines of those laptops will be fine. i5, 8GB+, 500GB+, and you should have a good experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (493)
59.61%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.2%
No- I want it (235)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.77%

Watched Threads