Superemmi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey people,

So I suffer with bad anxiety. I get really bad anxiety attacks. Sometimes I have them for no particular reason and then sometimes specific things will trigger them.

Going out in public is hard in it self sometimes. Going places where I’ve never been before. Or going to do things when I don’t know how they will pan out.

I have certain coping methods but I’m yet to find one that is really effective.
I have my university interview on Wednesday and whilst I’ve been at the university(school of art) before for the open day. Being unsure on how everything is going to work and the general nervousness people usually feel about impressing them.

Basically what I’m saying is I’m a ball of nerves and would prefer not to have a anxiety attack during my interview 😂

Anyone else who suffers from anxiety have any suggestions on how to relax a bit before and during the interview?

(It is an informal interview but that hasn’t been able to lessen how anxious I feel)
daintydaisy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello!

First of all, congratulations on receiving an interview! This in itself is a huge achievement.

I also suffer from anxiety and just recently left my job and was in the process of finding a new one - which means interviews/trial shifts etc. All of the best things to get your heart rate up.

All I can say is, a little bit of nerves are always good as you don't want to be too relaxed going into this interview. Think of anything leading up to this moment that you've previously had anxiety about - what was the worst case scenario? How did it actually go?

Anxiety is how our body responds to potential threats, but it's also the same feeling we get when we feel excited, which is one way which I try to turn this into something positive. (Instead of telling yourself 'I'm really nervous', try 'I'm really excited for this potential opportunity.')

I can hand on heart say everything I've been anxious about previously - exams, interviews, trial shifts - have never gone as badly as I expected, and if they haven't gone the way I'd hoped then I've at least learned something from it.

So, prepare to the best of your ability but most importantly have fun! This is a chance for the University to see who you are, match your personal statement to your face and for you to get a feel for the campus. Good luck!
Last edited by daintydaisy; 2 months ago
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi you need to see a doctor regarding this.

You know some of the situation what triggers them so slowly improve on them.

You are progressing by taking an interview.

Breathing and relaxation exercises I believe would help you.
Superemmi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by daintydaisy)
Hello!

First of all, congratulations on receiving an interview! This in itself is a huge achievement.

I also suffer from anxiety and just recently left my job and was in the process of finding a new one - which means interviews/trial shifts etc. All of the best things to get your heart rate up.

All I can say is, a little bit of nerves are always good as you don't want to be too relaxed going into this interview. Think of anything leading up to this moment that you've previously had anxiety about - what was the worst case scenario? How did it actually go?

Anxiety is how our body responds to potential threats, but it's also the same feeling we get when we feel excited, which is one way which I try to turn this into something positive. (Instead of telling yourself 'I'm really nervous', try 'I'm really excited for this potential opportunity.')

I can hand on heart say everything I've been anxious about previously - exams, interviews, trial shifts - have never gone as badly as I expected, and if they haven't gone the way I'd hoped then I've at least learned something from it.

So, prepare to the best of your ability but most importantly have fun! This is a chance for the University to see who you are, match your personal statement to your face and for you to get a feel for the campus. Good luck!
Thank you so much for this. It’s definitely put me in a better head space.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (109)
28.09%
No (279)
71.91%

Watched Threads