The Student Room Group

Dropping out of college due to burnout

I am currently in my second year of college, studying art. I originally didn't chose to due art but it was kind of forced on me. I am really unhappy at college, it is causing me a lot of stress and it's making my anxiety worse. I have thought and thought about it, weighing pros and cons, and have decided, for the sake of my health, I should drop out and find work. The only problem with this is my mum won't accept my choice. I am eighteen in two months, but I am still living with my mum because I don't work yet so have no money to find my own place. Every time I bring up the subject of dropping out, my mum twists my words, makes it personal about her, and guilt trips me. You see, if I drop out of education, my mum stops getting child tax benefits. I'm pretty sure that is the only reason she won't let me drop out. But I really feel I have to because college is now taking a massive toll on my mental health. What should I do? How do I convince her that it would be better for me?
Why don't you talk to someone at college (e.g. counsellor/welfare officer etc., someone like that) and see if they can either help you manage to complete the course, or if they would reccomend you drop out and they could talk to your mum about it/you could tell her what they've said.
Original post by ellanewmarch
Why don't you talk to someone at college (e.g. counsellor/welfare officer etc., someone like that) and see if they can either help you manage to complete the course, or if they would reccomend you drop out and they could talk to your mum about it/you could tell her what they've said.

I agree with this, discuss it with someone at tour college before among any move

Quick Reply

Latest