Help With Uni Study Schedule (reading lists)?

Watch
Ashfire45
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi guys! This semester I've realized that I should be doing a lot of work outside contact hours, which I didn't really grasp the first semester. Trying to organize it all has my head spinning, though. For one class, I'm expected to do 7 hours of reading (that's not bad), for another class... 18 hours. I've got two other classes, I need to find out how many they expect.

I've heard the advice treat it like a 9-5 job, which is sensible, but I have a lot of questions about university reading...

* Lecture slides will say core and recommended readings. Does this count towards your out of contact time? So, if that one class says that it requires 7 hours of reading, does reading the text books for lectures count?

*Are the core/recommended readings the most important ones? What I mean is, is it imperative to squeeze in a book that's mentioned in a lecture, but it's not on the reading list, more of a 'this is an interesting thing you could read' deal? I guess maybe what I'm asking is, can I get the best grade just working through the reading lists?

*Am I reading the full book if pages aren't dictated? Should I take notes?

*How long does it take/should take to read one book? I realize this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

*What's my goal when reading these books? Is it memorization, understanding the big picture, etc?

*How did you guys approach this? What I'm thinking is tackling a subject per day. So Monday - Social Policy, Tuesday - Psychology, Wednesday - Human Resource Management, Thursday - Education, Friday - maybe more Psychology... Would this work?

Thanks guys. Little worried about fitting all this reading in with coursework/essays, but that's uni, haha! I'll get my head around it.
Last edited by Ashfire45; 2 months ago
SweetSummerx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ashfire45)
Hi guys! This semester I've realized that I should be doing a lot of work outside contact hours, which I didn't really grasp the first semester. Trying to organize it all has my head spinning, though. For one class, I'm expected to do 7 hours of reading (that's not bad), for another class... 18 hours. I've got two other classes, I need to find out how many they expect.

I've heard the advice treat it like a 9-5 job, which is sensible, but I have a lot of questions about university reading...

* Lecture slides will say core and recommended readings. Does this count towards your out of contact time? So, if that one class says that it requires 7 hours of reading, does reading the text books for lectures count?

*Are the core/recommended readings the most important ones? What I mean is, is it imperative to squeeze in a book that's mentioned in a lecture, but it's not on the reading list, more of a 'this is an interesting thing you could read' deal? I guess maybe what I'm asking is, can I get the best grade just working through the reading lists?

*Am I reading the full book if pages aren't dictated? Should I take notes?

*How long does it take/should take to read one book? I realize this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

*What's my goal when reading these books? Is it memorization, understanding the big picture, etc?

*How did you guys approach this? What I'm thinking is tackling a subject per day. So Monday - Social Policy, Tuesday - Psychology, Wednesday - Human Resource Management, Thursday - Education, Friday - maybe more Psychology... Would this work?

Thanks guys. Little worried about fitting all this reading in with coursework/essays, but that's uni, haha! I'll get my head around it.
Reading definitely helps you grade but it has to be done in context. What I mean by this is don’t read a book cover to cover unless that is what is recommended, just read the chapter or pages that are relevant.

The most important text is the core and essential text so I would prioritise them and treat the rest as additional information if you feel you need it.

Anything done outside or lectures is usually seen as additional so reviewing lecturer material would count.

I would start with reviewing lecture content. Then read key and essential text and make some notes so you can refer back in exam season. The goal of additional reading is so that in your exams you can add additional information from outside lectures, being able to refer to specific texts definitely works in your favour.

How you want to plan your time is up to you but factor in breaks and meeting friends or you will burn out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.29%
No (84)
20.59%
Not sure (78)
19.12%

Watched Threads