I'm thinking of going back to university to study midwifery or paramedic science Watch

simbasdragon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I completed my degree in history in May of this year. I got a first on it but knew by the end that I didn't want a career in history.

I've been working in a business now since October. It's well paid work and has good opportunities for progression but I'm just not remotely passionate about it. I've been thinking about the idea of becoming a midwife or paramedic instead and going back to university to study for it.

I'm now living in Scotland and so I assume I would get my tuition fees paid for and a grant aswell because it's an NHS course. Or does this only apply if it's your first undergrad degree?

Does anyone have any recommendations or feedback on whether I should go ahead and pursue this?
caitlinbowen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I can relate to this entirely.

I did a degree in film and tv and graduated in 2018 and realised by the end that I had no interest in pursuing a career in that and wanted to be a paramedic. I've been working in hospitality for 2 years and similar to you, it's ok money but not what I want to do!

I don't have any science A-Levels which are a requirement for most courses so I'm doing an Access to HE course to get the qualifications and it's really good because I can study in my own time and from home which is really good when also doing a full time job and I'm now going through the application processes for paramedic science courses

When it comes to financing, I live in England so I'm not sure of the differences between here and Scotland but i do know there aren't any grants or student finance options for a second degree here which is annoying because I am going to have to try and fund a 3 year degree myself!

But yeah, I definitely would recommend having a look at universities and what courses are out there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed