Is it normal to wait long for HMRC job start dates? Watch

Heeck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I got my provisional job offer for Surge Rapid Response Team (SRRT) on the 04/10/19 and then completed and passed all my background checks on the 05/11/19, I was then contacted that I would be given my job start date soon. As of yet I'm still waiting to be told the job start date as HMRC are doing a "review of our available posts in all locations to ensure we have the appropriate resource to fulfil current work obligations". Is it normal that HMRC have made me wait more than 2 months for the job start date? (Getting a bit worried about the long wait...)
dizzyday71
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Heeck)
I got my provisional job offer for Surge Rapid Response Team (SRRT) on the 04/10/19 and then completed and passed all my background checks on the 05/11/19, I was then contacted that I would be given my job start date soon. As of yet I'm still waiting to be told the job start date as HMRC are doing a "review of our available posts in all locations to ensure we have the appropriate resource to fulfil current work obligations". Is it normal that HMRC have made me wait more than 2 months for the job start date? (Getting a bit worried about the long wait...)
Am with Border Force, from application to start date was 15 months, so don't worry the whole process takes time I started at Holyhead today, be patient I know it's hard but it will come and when it dies it is quick! I had offer in October, but I didn't get contact from Holyhead manager until 19 Dec then my start date was given on 20th Dec, bit of a whirlwind experience but am there now! I was already a civil servant and it still took 15 months. Hope this helps with you time line that you are currently following? Which Are are you looking to join??
Heeck
Rep:
?
(Original post by dizzyday71)
Am with Border Force, from application to start date was 15 months, so don't worry the whole process takes time I started at Holyhead today, be patient I know it's hard but it will come and when it dies it is quick! I had offer in October, but I didn't get contact from Holyhead manager until 19 Dec then my start date was given on 20th Dec, bit of a whirlwind experience but am there now! I was already a civil servant and it still took 15 months. Hope this helps with you time line that you are currently following? Which Are are you looking to join??
I know that for Border Force the waiting time can be very long but I wasn't under the impression that for operational delivery (specifically for SRRT) in HMRC that the waiting time for a job start date after passing all my background checks would be over 2 months (soon to be 3 months).
Looke
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I haven't personally been through this process. But I've managed a number of people in another Government department and they've waited at times up to 9 months for all the vetting and approvals to go through before given a start date.
Jatt86
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Heeck)
Hi I am also in a same position as well. I’ve passed my checks and recently been advised that awaiting start dates. Was you put on an reserve list before this stage if don’t mind me asking?

I always am hoping I hear something back as the waiting is causing me such a big anxiety and stress!
Heeck
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jatt86)
Hi I am also in a same position as well. I’ve passed my checks and recently been advised that awaiting start dates. Was you put on an reserve list before this stage if don’t mind me asking?

I always am hoping I hear something back as the waiting is causing me such a big anxiety and stress!
Hi,

I was put on the waiting list originally, then given a provisonal offer, then passed my background checks and now I've been stuck since early November waiting for the job start date. The waiting really sucks !
Jatt86
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Heeck)
Hi,

I was put on the waiting list originally, then given a provisonal offer, then passed my background checks and now I've been stuck since early November waiting for the job start date. The waiting really sucks !
For which location have you applied? Have you contacted them for an update?

I have and they said to me that they are currently not recruiting yet as they need to see where the work demands are and ensuring there’s enough work for everyone.. coming from a big organisation and especially the surge department, would think they would have lots of work in..
Heeck
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Jatt86)
For which location have you applied? Have you contacted them for an update?

I have and they said to me that they are currently not recruiting yet as they need to see where the work demands are and ensuring there’s enough work for everyone.. coming from a big organisation and especially the surge department, would think they would have lots of work in..
The latest information I received was when I contacted HMRC for an update in early 2020 and was told that they're "reviewing all locations coupled with current work obligations and won’t know anything until this is complete.", so until they complete their reviews I cannot be given a start date .
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Heeck)
but I wasn't under the impression that for operational delivery (specifically for SRRT) in HMRC
SRRT isn't really HMRC. They're just the big government department responsible for running this cross Civil Service workforce/program.

Things can always change until you have been made a formal offer, but I would just try putting it out of your mind. There's nothing you can do to speed things up.
Heeck
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by OnceUponAStudent)
Things can always change until you have been made a formal offer, but I would just try putting it out of your mind. There's nothing you can do to speed things up.
Yea defo feels that way about being able to do nothing other than applying for other jobs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.24%
No, but I have thought about it (55)
27.78%
No (95)
47.98%

Watched Threads