16.67%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
P101 – Domestic Air Passenger Duty Reform
This petition calls for domestic air passenger duty to be removed on domestic flights. The petition also calls for a new scheme based on emissions of aircraft types applying to non-EU flights only.

Regional APD

What do BA Connect, Virgin Atlantic Little Red, Flybmi Regional and Flybe all have in common?

They are all failed or failing regional airlines. Flybe was recently saved after the government agreed to postpone its £100m+ annual APD bill for 3 years. In 3 years the bill will be £300m+. It is unsustainable for Flybe to keep postponing its APD bill. The day will come where it runs out of money.

Regional airlines are struggling to survive. It is impossible to offer affordable ticket prices when with current APD of between £13 - £78 per flight. Furthermore, it is a double tax since airlines already pay tax under the EU Emissions Trading Scheme, this will continue for the foreseeable future.

Lastly, it is also impossible to properly compete when rail travel is subsidised by £6.4bn per year. Some might argue lower APD will result in decreased train usage and higher carbon emissions. However, there is no evidence to show a reduction in domestic APD will lead to a decrease in train usage.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Right idea, wrong justification
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay as I argued in the debate.
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Considering we all know that the earth is slowly dying from carbon emissions, encouraging people to fly in aeroplanes that make more of said emissions was never going to go well.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
Considering we all know that the earth is slowly dying from carbon emissions, encouraging people to fly in aeroplanes that make more of said emissions was never going to go well.
Do we?

The majority of ecological damage is far more likely to be caused by human action and development. Even the worst climate projections over the next century don't raise the prospect of non-Africans under threat of death.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
I didn't realise that the earth was alive, I was under the impression it was a non-living solid iron core surrounded by a non-living nickel-iron outer core surrounded by non-living mantle primarily composed of silicate rocks all wrapped in a thin non-living crust that is nearly 50% oxygen with half of the balance being silicon, a good chunk of aluminium, iron, calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium and about 1.5% other elements.

Not quite sure how something that is not alive, never has been alive, and never will be alive can be dying.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Do we?

The majority of ecological damage is far more likely to be caused by human action and development. Even the worst climate projections over the next century don't raise the prospect of non-Africans under threat of death.
Pretty certain flying a plane is a human action.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Pretty certain flying a plane is a human action.
Flying a plane may contribute to climate change but it is not responsible for the bulk of ecological damage which is the result largely of humans dominating the natural world due to our predatory nature.

Climate change is a problem but it’s not likely to kill and we are making progress.
Mainline421
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you care at all about climate change then I very strongly urge voting No on this petition, without this it will likely become impossible to for the UK to be carbon neutral by 2050. Just look at the figures!
Almost all domestic flights contribute nothing of value to our economy anyway.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mainline421)
If you care at all about climate change then I very strongly urge voting No on this petition, without this it will likely become impossible to for the UK to be carbon neutral by 2050. Just look at the figures!
Oh dear, it won't help us engage in expensive virtue signalling, how terrible!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You state that we can’t be carbon neutral with air travel despite the grid and road/rail being clean by 2050. Can you outline what percentage of carbon emissions come from air travel at the moment to see the threat we need to deal with in context against industry and other sources.
Mainline421
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
You state that we can’t be carbon neutral with air travel despite the grid and road/rail being clean by 2050. Can you outline what percentage of carbon emissions come from air travel at the moment to see the threat we need to deal with in context against industry and other sources.
Certainly, the aviation sector is responsible for 5.9% of the UK's carbon emissions. In order to achieve carbon-neutrality by 2050 we need to see a maximum increase of 25% which is expected to mostly be taken up by additional long-haul journeys utilising Heathrow's third runway.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Certainly, the aviation sector is responsible for 5.9% of the UK's carbon emissions. In order to achieve carbon-neutrality by 2050 we need to see a maximum increase of 25% which is expected to mostly be taken up by additional long-haul journeys utilising Heathrow's third runway.
And what efficiency increases are assumed there?

In case you weren't aware airlines are quite fond of more efficient engines, consequently the engine and aircraft manufacturers spend a hell of a lot of money to get even the tiniest bit of increased efficiency
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Order, order!

The Ayes to the right: 20
The Noes to the left: 20
Abstains: 8

The Noes have it, the Noes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (491)
59.52%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.21%
No- I want it (235)
28.48%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.79%

Watched Threads

Latest