are your lecturers DBS-checked? Watch

MrsDeWinter
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've recently learned that few are, and that it may not be a requirement. Do you think it should be? (Particularly in regard to anyone having a history of child abuse, of abusing vulnerable adults or perhaps something else)
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MrsDeWinter)
I've recently learned that few are, and that it may not be a requirement. Do you think it should be? (Particularly in regard to anyone having a history of child abuse, of abusing vulnerable adults or perhaps something else)
I dont think they need to be if every student is over 16 (no idea what the law is).

Im sure unis have a protocol/policy to deal with similar allegations, ive never dealt with anything like this, but I think as long as the uni has similar employment checks as you would find in any large company this would meet my expectation.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No.
I don't think that they need to be unless they are teaching under 18s.

Very few unis would employ a lecturer that has a criminal record for anything except motoring offences.
News of serious criminal convictions attract media attention, word spreads very fast and academia tends to be a very small world.
Few people with serious criminal records would risk applying for uni jobs that guarantee being fired as soon as their past became public knowledge or a public relations liability for the uni.
sammyj97
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably, considering all of us students were DBS checked and are asked to declare anything new every year.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sammyj97)
Probably, considering all of us students were DBS checked and are asked to declare anything new every year.
All students are not DBS checked.
Only those who need to be because they come into contact with children or vulnerable adults, think nurses, social workers and teachers.
Other students are asked to declare unspent convictions.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I never have been
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I doubt many lecturers will have had a DBS check, just as most adults in most occupations won't have had to undertake a DBS check. Unless the staff are specifically clinical staff or otherwise their work other than lecturing would require a DBS check, it's unlikely they'll have had one. Would you expect the staff at an Apple store to have been DBS checked? It'll realistically just be the same kind of checks any employers undertakes with their adult staff, which is usually not a lot.

Ultimately university students are (normally) legal adults in charge of their own lives, just as the lecturers are. Those who aren't will normally have a guardian with them, or otherwise represent something of a difficulty for the uni. I know of one person who started their course when they were 17, and they had to sign a contract with the department to ensure appropriate measures were in place on both sides to ensure the student was able to attend without a guardian.

Of course non-academic staff may well be required to have DBS checks. I imagine e.g. counselling, security, and possibly accessibility staff may require DBS checks. As above any clinical staff (academic or non-academic) will no doubt have a DBS check, as would any staff whose work did lead them to working with young children or vulnerable adults (for example, staff on teacher training courses who might also work with uni students in schools, or e.g. psychology staff working on developmental psychology who work with children, etc).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Only seen this once specifically for a personal tutee under 18, for the rest, everyone is an adult, both staff and students, so the rules required in schools dont apply. Its a massive paperwork load for no good reason otherwise.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All of my lecturers were DBS-checked, but that was only because they were also practising clinicians (occupational therapists, and speech and language therapists) alongside being academics. Studying an allied health/medicine/teaching course is likely to be the exception rather than the rule though.
sammyj97
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
All students are not DBS checked.
Only those who need to be because they come into contact with children or vulnerable adults, think nurses, social workers and teachers.
Other students are asked to declare unspent convictions.
Yep. “All of us” as in all of the pharmacy students on my course. Sorry, should have specified.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (79)
57.66%
Yes- I don't like it (8)
5.84%
No- I want it (43)
31.39%
No- I don't want it (7)