How do I write the introduction for my reflective essay Watch

Miss Magic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m writing an essay on my fear of water and I’m not sure if I write an introduction or do I just begin writing.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Miss Magic)
I’m writing an essay on my fear of water and I’m not sure if I write an introduction or do I just begin writing.
Hi :hello:

Having been a writing mentor at university, I would recommend always writing an introduction of some kind. An introduction should usually be around 10% of your word count (but can be less), and introduce what you're going to say, the topic, and the structure of your essay.

Introduction can be really useful in helping you structure your essay. if you set out exactly what you will talk about in the introduction, then you can use it as a checklist as you write your paragraphs.

On the other hand, if you prefer to figure out what yo are saying as you write, you can always write the introduction at the end.

I hope this is useful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Melissa :five:
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Miss Magic)
Since it's a reflective (broadly creative) essay for your folio, you don't need to particularly write an introduction (in the usual sense of the word)...You obviously need to start in some way, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a formal introduction like you might do for your discursive/critical essays. Your first paragraph/few lines should set the scene, but there isn't a specific format this needs to take.
Katyyferrierr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wrote my personal last year on overcoming my fear of the sea by going diving and my introduction was very brief, it was almost like a metaphor for the ocean so if you can try to do something that’s a bit creative but relevant it should be good, my portfolio got 26/30 last year so quite a decent mark
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (371)
67.33%
No (180)
32.67%

Watched Threads