The Student Room Group

experience of pastoral care at university

Hello TSR users,

Looking for a bit of feedback regarding pastoral care at Universities across the country, specifically in relation to the death of an immediate family relative whilst studying at a specific institution.

In background to this ask, I was unfortunate to lose one of my parents in my final year of University. I am currently attempting to challenge the way the situation was handled by the department in which I was studying, regarding the academic support provided during the period of grief. In short, the support they provided consisted of a few 'supportive emails', and their continued insistence that this constitutes as enough.

If anyone has had an experience they could share of something similar happening to them and the actions the University took I would be very grateful.
Original post by Swifty19901
Hello TSR users,

Looking for a bit of feedback regarding pastoral care at Universities across the country, specifically in relation to the death of an immediate family relative whilst studying at a specific institution.

In background to this ask, I was unfortunate to lose one of my parents in my final year of University. I am currently attempting to challenge the way the situation was handled by the department in which I was studying, regarding the academic support provided during the period of grief. In short, the support they provided consisted of a few 'supportive emails', and their continued insistence that this constitutes as enough.

If anyone has had an experience they could share of something similar happening to them and the actions the University took I would be very grateful.

Have you graduated? The way an appeal/complaint is handled may be different depending if you are a current or former student.

@Noodlzzz and @The_Lonely_Goatherd - can you advise?
Original post by Swifty19901
Hello TSR users,

Hi, I'm really sorry that your university has treated you like this. It doesn't sound supportive at all.

Your university should have a central complaints department and set procedures on how to complain. Make sure you keep the evidence (the emails) perhaps with a timeline of what occurred. Perhaps copy in student support services (especially if you had/have contact with them). Sorry I can't be of much more help but@The_Lonely_Goatherd should be able to provide some better advice I'm sure :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Have you graduated? The way an appeal/complaint is handled may be different depending if you are a current or former student.

@Noodlzzz and @The_Lonely_Goatherd - can you advise?

I have graduated, graduated back in 2017!
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hi, I'm really sorry that your university has treated you like this. It doesn't sound supportive at all.

Your university should have a central complaints department and set procedures on how to complain. Make sure you keep the evidence (the emails) perhaps with a timeline of what occurred. Perhaps copy in student support services (especially if you had/have contact with them). Sorry I can't be of much more help but@The_Lonely_Goatherd should be able to provide some better advice I'm sure :smile:

I have already complained to the university complaint system. It took a year for them to respond to the stage two complaint which is when they said that they believed the University had for-filled their duty with the 'supportive emails'. I then submitted a complaint via the ombudsman service and after a further year their final reported repeated the conclusions of the university complaint.

I was hoping to find out what would have happened at different Universities. I've heard rumours of similar things happening to friends of friends and the reports being completely different. For example Ive just visited the University of Aberdeen and their pastoral care sounds far superior to anything offered at the University I attended. Just looking for some feedback!

Quick Reply

Latest