Camhward
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi
Any suggestions for the best unis for an architecture course?
Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Camhward)
Hi
Any suggestions for the best unis for an architecture course?
Thanks
That depends what area of architecture interests you, the study environment that suits you and a whole range of other things.

If a course is riba/arb approved then it is good.
Psychetechne
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is a direct quote from a discussion I had with the head of architecture at one of the countries leading universities...

“The brutal reality is that the criteria set by the professional bodies is so stringent that, in order to meet their criteria, 95% of content is effectively pre-set, and anyone who pretends otherwise is disingenuous.”

...she continues to explain that each school has a particular “flavour” that’s made up by how they interpret the ARB criteria and by any of the unique extras they can put in around the remaining 5%.

In my own experience schools generally fall into one of three such flavours: those which are fine arts-led, those which are science and/or engineering-led, and those which are design and make-led. This is, it’s important to say, a gross oversimplification; you will absolutely still cover architectural history and theory at an engineering-led school, just as you’ll still need some understanding of building and environmental physics at an arts-led one, and you’ll spend most of your time in studio scribbling on endless rolls of trace wherever you go.

So how do you choose? Beyond the obvious... read the RIBA validation reports (they’ll give some insight into what the RIBA think is a particular strength or weakness of a school) and - perhaps most importantly - go visit if you can. You do not have to go to an open day, in fact it’s often better if you don’t. Reach out to the course leader/programme director and ask if you can pop along for the day; ask to sit in on a lecture or watch things unfold in the studio; spend the rest of the day looking around the city or campus. Above all, decide on the criteria which are most important to you and base your decision on those.
Camhward
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Great thanks for the insight. In terms of your 3 subsections do you have any examples of unis who fall into them?
Thanks
Psychetechne
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Camhward)
Great thanks for the insight. In terms of your 3 subsections do you have any examples of unis who fall into them?
Thanks
These are of course only my impressions, others may disagree, and I’ve also not invested the time in reviewing every programme at every school, but...

I imagine most would consider the AA (BA), the Bartlett (BSc) and Edinburgh (MA) as arts-led or conceptual, although all three have excellent workshop facilities for making; the Bartlett is also a big school with a number of programmes, including one focusing on alternative practice (BSc AIS) and another which is entirely engineering-led (MEng). Other schools particularly known for engineering are Bath (BSc), Leeds (MEng) and Nottingham (MEng), with Nottingham also offering an arts and maker-led programme (BArch). Other design and make-led schools include Cardiff (BSc), Dundee (MArch) and Strathclyde (BSc). And then there’s UWE that literally has a programme for everyone (BA, BEng and BSc), and Cambridge which is a bit of everything but especially good for theory and history.

Again, that’s my opinion; you really have to go see for yourself to get a feeling for a school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (46)
24.6%
No, but I have thought about it (51)
27.27%
No (90)
48.13%

Watched Threads