naomieve
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am currently writing my English Speaking. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a high mark and also any tips on how to remember it as our teacher has told us we are doing them in 10 days.
Camhward
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ok so speaking can be much less nerve wracking and actually kind of easy if you just break it down
Tip 1) speak slowly, try and put enthusiasm and emphasis into your words, it’ll make you sound more interested in what your talking about and more engaging, which is a big plus.
Tip 2) engage your audience (whoever it is) with eye contact, keep your head up
Tip 3) make sure to project your voice, I don’t mean shouting, a simple example is just watching how your teachers talk in front of a class and copying that
Tip 4) don’t stand rigid in one spot, people say don’t use your hands but actually this is a very good way to show you are confident with being at the front speaking, just don’t go overboard and start flapping your hands everywhere
Tip 5) most importantly - just RELAX - all of the above will fall into place perfectly if you are relaxed. Let your body relax, smile, imagine you are just giving a talk to your close friends
Tip 6) practice all of the above several times and in front of a mirror

As for learning things, are you allowed prompt cards? If you are, you can use them to prompt your memory.
If you are using a powerpoint too, having a quick glance at the board can prompt you too, but dont talk to the board, talk to your audience. It’s important to learn what you are going to say so that your presentation isnt just you reading off a sheet of paper, and when you know what you are going to say, you’ll be more relaxed too.
Hope this helps
BoreRagnarok
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
it's easy to get a pass all you need to do is stand there and audibly say words you've written or typed on a page on an appropriate topic for three and a half minutes. If you don't have a topic just use mine, Automation. If you're looking for the highest grade possible then read the other guys advice.
naomieve
Rep:
?
(Original post by Camhward)
Ok so speaking can be much less nerve wracking and actually kind of easy if you just break it down
Tip 1) speak slowly, try and put enthusiasm and emphasis into your words, it’ll make you sound more interested in what your talking about and more engaging, which is a big plus.
Tip 2) engage your audience (whoever it is) with eye contact, keep your head up
Tip 3) make sure to project your voice, I don’t mean shouting, a simple example is just watching how your teachers talk in front of a class and copying that
Tip 4) don’t stand rigid in one spot, people say don’t use your hands but actually this is a very good way to show you are confident with being at the front speaking, just don’t go overboard and start flapping your hands everywhere
Tip 5) most importantly - just RELAX - all of the above will fall into place perfectly if you are relaxed. Let your body relax, smile, imagine you are just giving a talk to your close friends
Tip 6) practice all of the above several times and in front of a mirror

As for learning things, are you allowed prompt cards? If you are, you can use them to prompt your memory.
If you are using a powerpoint too, having a quick glance at the board can prompt you too, but dont talk to the board, talk to your audience. It’s important to learn what you are going to say so that your presentation isnt just you reading off a sheet of paper, and when you know what you are going to say, you’ll be more relaxed too.
Hope this helps
Thank you this is so helpful, Yes I think we are allowed prompt cards so that will be helpful. 😊
BoreRagnarok
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
KEY TIP: Plan 2 or 3 questions with answers. Give out questions to people, then at the end ask if anyone has any questions and they'll read out the ones you gave them and you'll respond with answers you've prepared. It makes it an interactive speech and it isn't against the rules. Our teacher made us all do this because it's allowed and boosts our mark.
naomieve
Rep:
?
(Original post by BoreRagnarok)
KEY TIP: Plan 2 or 3 questions with answers. Give out questions to people, then at the end ask if anyone has any questions and they'll read out the ones you gave them and you'll respond with answers you've prepared. It makes it an interactive speech and it isn't against the rules. Our teacher made us all do this because it's allowed and boosts our mark.
Ooo that’s a good idea thank you so much 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.41%
I'm not sure (45)
4.32%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (310)
29.78%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (509)
48.9%

Watched Threads