Report Thread starter 1 year ago
why the population of some cities is decreasing
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Many different reasons!
Urban - rural migration as people are frustrated with city life. Noise, traffic, pollution, crime, vandalism etc, usually labelled as “push and pull” factors. You can look at the Lee Migration Model.
People who are ageing and retiring may want to live somewhere else which is quieter/ more peaceful for a different pace of life. An older person has different needs of a place and want a more community aspect of their living, such as a local pub or community centre, as opposed to a young person.
People who are having families want larger, rural or suburban houses. City centres usually have small apartments catered for single people or couples, not usually for families. Suburbs have more familial opportunities with schools, and are perceived as “safer”.
Other more crude ideas you could talk about disease or climate change. Lots of Jakarta is sinking as the clay is built in subsides due to costal erosion and overabstraction of ground water to provider for a sprawling population.
In Port-au-prince in Haiti the 2010 earthquake destroyed half of the built infrastructure and the remaining buildings were unsafe, so most of the population were housed in refugee camps outside of the city.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...g-climate.html Useful case study about Jakarta.
Last edited by Ðeggs; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (25)
5.59%
Uncertainty around my education (51)
11.41%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (53)
11.86%
Lack of purpose or motivation (58)
12.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.37%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (45)
10.07%
Financial worries (28)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.25%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.71%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (43)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (37)
8.28%

Watched Threads