The Student Room Group

Feel really anxious - scared to go on school trip

I feel so stupid saying this but anyway:
I'm in a band at my school and we're going to Germany to do a concert, we're going away for 4 days and when I signed up, I was really excited.

Just for some context - dont know if this is relevant but last year I went on a school trip and I had trouble eating because I became nervous and didn't feel hungry. We were doing lots of sports and activities, so I felt bad and knew that I needed to be eating so I had 'fuel' etc. I would dread each meal because I would want to eat but every time I had no appetite and I would struggle trying to finish my plate and stress over trying to do that.

I also feel nervous eating with friends now (but I'm fine during lunch at school?), it's as if this "fear" has carried on in my normal life. I get nervous even just going for a sleepover at a friends!

Anyway, the trip to Germany is coming up and I'm so scared. I know 4 days isn't long, but I just keep thinking of how bad the school trip was previously, and I know it's stupid but I get really homesick too.

We had a meeting about the trip the other day, and I had to try not to cry, I don't know why I'm feeling so extremely scared of this trip, and every time I think about being there I get similar feelings of anxiety.

I think the main thing is I don't want to go, but then I don't want to regret not going. At times, I think that I am actually excited, then I go back to being nervous. I know it's probably normal to feel a bit nervous maybe to go on a school trip, but I find myself thinking about it constantly every day, and I'm so bored of feeling scared about it - if that makes sense.

This probably didn't make much sense lol but does anyone have any advice? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
okay, so first of all, you can always back out if you dont feel up to it? No ones gonna force you to go if you dont want to.

But going to a different country for a concert is very good life experience and its impressive to have that on your CV and Personal Statement if you want to apply for uni in the future.
Maybe you can try to sort of 'practice' being away from home for a bit before the trip? If you have any close relatives or friends, you could ask to stay over at theirs on weekends to get used to being in a different environment.
Or you can try some different herbal remedies for anxiety. Theres different calming teas (like camomile tea) and natural medicines you can get at Holland and barrets. Sometimes just the scent of lavender helps, you can get sprays to put it on your clothes to calm you down through the day?
how old are you? I have had similar experiences every school trip i’ve been on, my best advice is to create a plan of how you will cope mine always included headphones so I can try relax on the journey there (I would also suggest relaxation tapes the app headspace has some really good ones) then you can bring lots of snacks so if you don’t feel up to eating a big meal you can at least stop yourself feeling really exhausted from no food
you could also try find some essential oils of relaxing scents and maybe have a set time each day you call your family and let them know what your up to, at the end of the day 4 days isn’t too long and you can definitely do it! every trip I have dreaded I have ended up having a really good time on and would have been sad if I had missed out. You could try talk to a teacher on the trip to let them know how you feel so they look out for you
Reply 4
Original post by Czernek1
okay, so first of all, you can always back out if you dont feel up to it? No ones gonna force you to go if you dont want to.

But going to a different country for a concert is very good life experience and its impressive to have that on your CV and Personal Statement if you want to apply for uni in the future.
Maybe you can try to sort of 'practice' being away from home for a bit before the trip? If you have any close relatives or friends, you could ask to stay over at theirs on weekends to get used to being in a different environment.
Or you can try some different herbal remedies for anxiety. Theres different calming teas (like camomile tea) and natural medicines you can get at Holland and barrets. Sometimes just the scent of lavender helps, you can get sprays to put it on your clothes to calm you down through the day?

Thank you for your advice! My nan used to always say about lavender being calming, and I think I might take a pillow spray or something with me :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by laurendavey9
how old are you? I have had similar experiences every school trip i’ve been on, my best advice is to create a plan of how you will cope mine always included headphones so I can try relax on the journey there (I would also suggest relaxation tapes the app headspace has some really good ones) then you can bring lots of snacks so if you don’t feel up to eating a big meal you can at least stop yourself feeling really exhausted from no food

Thanks, this is really helpful! It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I'll be 15 by the time I go on the trip. I think for the journey we have to get up at 5am or something so hopefully I can just sleep on the coach 🤞 There's a part of me that's excited, so I'm trying to focus on that!
Reply 6
you could also try find some essential oils of relaxing scents and maybe have a set time each day you call your family and let them know what your up to, at the end of the day 4 days isn’t too long and you can definitely do it! every trip I have dreaded I have ended up having a really good time on and would have been sad if I had missed out. You could try talk to a teacher on the trip to let them know how you feel so they look out for you

Again, this is so helpful :smile: The only thing I'm worried about is that I think calling home might make me feel worse, since itll remind me of how far away I am. I guess it depends how I feel at the time. And everyone going on the trip I'm quite good friends with and they're all really supportive so I should be able to talk to them whilst I'm there.
Original post by Anonymous
Again, this is so helpful :smile: The only thing I'm worried about is that I think calling home might make me feel worse, since itll remind me of how far away I am. I guess it depends how I feel at the time. And everyone going on the trip I'm quite good friends with and they're all really supportive so I should be able to talk to them whilst I'm there.

Having supportive friends is the best thing and i’m sure once you are there you will feel much better, I definitely had similar experiences at 15 and of course don’t call your family if you feel that might make you worse you could always text them if that’s easier if you want to keep in touch but not be reminded of home too much 😊
Reply 8
Having supportive friends is the best thing and i’m sure once you are there you will feel much better, I definitely had similar experiences at 15 and of course don’t call your family if you feel that might make you worse you could always text them if that’s easier if you want to keep in touch but not be reminded of home too much 😊

Thank you so much for all your advice!! I'm sure I'll use it lots :smile: The trip is at the start of April, and my birthday is before then so I'm trying to focus on that for now, if I think the trip is really soon then itll be my birthday first 😊

Quick Reply

Latest