if there are still any doubters, take a look at this clip
JohnLocke95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
Jesus Christ of Nazareth, that's insane.

Back to the original topic, I don't think there's anything wrong with VAR, I think there's an issue with the actual rules, the lack of consistency and the incompetent referees that we have in England. Michael Oliver is the only credible one out there, the rest are woeful.

Calling offside for your armpit being offside? That's barbaric. God knows how the referee didn't give Arsenal a penalty a few days ago for clamping Pepe, I think that's a stonewall penalty. De Gea last night? I don't think De Gea was strong enough and the goal should have simply stood. What about Rashford's goal at Old Trafford against Liverpool? Origi was clearly fouled in the buildup, but VAR decided it wasn't a foul for one reason or another.

Personally believe that the rules need to be slightly changed and the referee should be able to visit the VAR screen himself on the touchline.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
In Bundesliga for sure. Since the VAR was installed, it is used for almost every situation in a football match. And that is annoying, just because it interrupts the match for a long time over many minutes before it comes to a decision by a referee. The worst: the decisions didn't change for better by VAR, it is still as controversial as before. The best in my opinion would be just to use the VAR when it is really a match-winning situation or a moment which might turn the tables in no time.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Main thing to be done is to improve the rules themselves - there is too much subjectivity which is causing more issues.

In terms of time taken, I think there are two options:

1) Each time has a maximum of reviews (e.g. 3) and only if they ask for a review is is made. Then you know the maximum number of stoppages otherwise the ref is in charge.

2) VAR looks at everything like now but if it takes them longer than a set time (e.g. 30 or 60 seconds) and if they don't have a decision then it's not clear and obvious and the benefit stays with the ref. Although in this scenario, I'm not sure how long it takes them to pull up the video replays.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (226)
67.66%
No (108)
32.34%

Watched Threads