The Student Room Group

Executive Officer Bootle Asylum Decision Maker

Hi, long shot but wondering if I can get anything out of this.

Last year I applied for an EO role in Bootle - asylum decision maker. Went through all the processes etc and apparently passed security. On the 20th December 2019 I got a notification that I'd passed security and that I would receive a start date soon. It's been a whole month and I've heard nothing, e-mailed the e-mail on the job ad almost a week ago and similarly have been no reply.

Does anyone know if it's unusual to have not heard back yet or know who I can contact? I'm starting to get a little desperate. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toxicatedrose
Hi, long shot but wondering if I can get anything out of this.

Last year I applied for an EO role in Bootle - asylum decision maker. Went through all the processes etc and apparently passed security. On the 20th December 2019 I got a notification that I'd passed security and that I would receive a start date soon. It's been a whole month and I've heard nothing, e-mailed the e-mail on the job ad almost a week ago and similarly have been no reply.

Does anyone know if it's unusual to have not heard back yet or know who I can contact? I'm starting to get a little desperate. Thanks!

Im an Asylum DM in Belfast, even after I got my checks through it still took a while for everything else to get sorted
Original post by niall1980
Im an Asylum DM in Belfast, even after I got my checks through it still took a while for everything else to get sorted

Hi! Thanks for getting back in touch - that's reassuring.

Do you remember how long it took between completing your employment checks and getting your start date?
Original post by toxicatedrose
Hi! Thanks for getting back in touch - that's reassuring.

Do you remember how long it took between completing your employment checks and getting your start date?

I cant remember to be honest. If you cant find a number to contact maybe reply to the email you were sent
Reply 4
Hi guys, I have been invited to the assessment center next week in Leeds. I do not suppose anyone has any experience or guidance on the 75 minute written test and if successful, the interview following?
Hi, did you start at Bootle in the end? I have a provisional offer after being on the reserve list for months. They've since updated the jobs website so I can no longer view the job description! After some opinions from people in the post - is it a good job with good training? Is it basically like casework? Flexi?! I had a choice of staying on the reserve list and waiting for the Capital building in Liverpool or taking the offer in Bootle..
Original post by mooofassa
Hi, did you start at Bootle in the end? I have a provisional offer after being on the reserve list for months. They've since updated the jobs website so I can no longer view the job description! After some opinions from people in the post - is it a good job with good training? Is it basically like casework? Flexi?! I had a choice of staying on the reserve list and waiting for the Capital building in Liverpool or taking the offer in Bootle..

It is casework and there is flexi
Are you expected to work weekends? I’ve heard the role is quite tough, is this true?
Original post by Anonymouss91
Are you expected to work weekends? I’ve heard the role is quite tough, is this true?

its a very very tough job. We dont work weekends in Belfast though there is the option to do overtime if you are at a certain stage of your development
Really? I heard there’s targets too. Any advice you would give to a new starter?
Yup we have stats which we have to hit. As a new start yours will be low and then they build up until after a certain time you’re expected to do the same as experiences DMs.
Hi.

Nope, still waiting! Fortunately, I have a job in the meantime :smile:
Are you going through clearance now?
Nope, I've been all cleared!
Reply 14
Wondering if any friends here can suggest- I joined HMRC caseworker (EO) role 6 months back while Home Office Asylum Decision Maker (EO) Glasgow was on waitlist- Now received provisional offer for Home OfficeWondering if anyone here has inputs comparing both with respect to growth, nature of work and potential movement opportunities within Home Office departmentsThanks
Original post by GuruP
Wondering if any friends here can suggest- I joined HMRC caseworker (EO) role 6 months back while Home Office Asylum Decision Maker (EO) Glasgow was on waitlist- Now received provisional offer for Home OfficeWondering if anyone here has inputs comparing both with respect to growth, nature of work and potential movement opportunities within Home Office departmentsThanks

Hi, do you know how long you were on HO Asylum waitlist? I've been given a provisional offer, but been told to accept a different location or waitlist for my first choice - just wondered the average wait!
Reply 16
All’s I can say is please seriously consider taking this job. I would class myself as a intelligent competent person and this is the most stressful job I’ve EVER had in my life. Nobody cares for wellbeing, just how many impossible stats you hit
I agree with the previous poster. Steer clear if you can, it's a poisonous job. It's a full on sales style job, targets targets targets, and there's almost no job security. You may as well be on a fixed term rolling contract. If you have anything else lined up, go for that instead
I would say take the job and ignore the above. I done it for two years and it was fantastic. There is plenty of job security. Yes it’s stressful but there is well being. It’s worth it
Reply 19
Original post by niall1980
I would say take the job and ignore the above. I done it for two years and it was fantastic. There is plenty of job security. Yes it’s stressful but there is well being. It’s worth it

I’m not saying what I said from thin air. I just feel I wish I had been given this advice or insight before I took the role.

I can hand on heart say I’ve never heard a single individual state the job was fantastic bar yourself. There is an intake for every month up until March 2022 just purely from the amount of staff that have left the department. It’s statistically one of the highest turnover jobs in the Home Office.

I have experienced first hand many hard working people either go off with stress or leave the role. I have also managed decision makers and the pressure put on team leaders to grind stats out of decision makers is frankly disgusting.

I wish the best to the thread creator etc but would give the same type of advice to anybody looking to enter this type of role.

Anybody please feel free to inbox me with any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending