The Student Room Group

Executive Officer Bootle Asylum Decision Maker

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ufc1993
I’m not saying what I said from thin air. I just feel I wish I had been given this advice or insight before I took the role.

I can hand on heart say I’ve never heard a single individual state the job was fantastic bar yourself. There is an intake for every month up until March 2022 just purely from the amount of staff that have left the department. It’s statistically one of the highest turnover jobs in the Home Office.

I have experienced first hand many hard working people either go off with stress or leave the role. I have also managed decision makers and the pressure put on team leaders to grind stats out of decision makers is frankly disgusting.

I wish the best to the thread creator etc but would give the same type of advice to anybody looking to enter this type of role.

Anybody please feel free to inbox me with any questions.

Leaving the department is a choice. That’s not a lack of job security. I have worked with people who didn’t like the job alright. Thankfully they left it. I have worked with people who really enjoyed the job. Thankfully most of them are still doing it. I had two years doing the job before I left. The only reason I left was for a promotion in a different department. Is the job tough? Yes. Can it be stressful? Yes. Is it rewarding? Very much so. Is it worth doing? Definitely.
Don’t do it! No job is worth being treated like you don’t matter. They give you warnings like they’re sweets and don’t care for your mental well-being one bit. If you ever have an issue or concern, trust me when I say they’ll take no responsibility and make YOU the issue. Do not work in this department. It’s literally crushed who I am as a person.
Original post by UsernameA56239
Don’t do it! No job is worth being treated like you don’t matter. They give you warnings like they’re sweets and don’t care for your mental well-being one bit. If you ever have an issue or concern, trust me when I say they’ll take no responsibility and make YOU the issue. Do not work in this department. It’s literally crushed who I am as a person.

Complete opposite from my experience working in asylum. I was in Belfast though.
Reply 23
Hi, have you been an asylum team leader? I would like the promotion to HEO but I'm worried I will go from a stress free EO role to hating my job
It’s a lot of admin work
Reply 25
have you been an asylum team leader? I would like the promotion to HEO but I'm worried I will go from a stress free EO role not in asylum to hating my job
Reply 26
Hi i am due to start my role in belfast fairly soon. How did you find working in the belfast office? Ive seen some pretty grim reviews on here
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 27
Original post by username2758940
Complete opposite from my experience working in asylum. I was in Belfast though.

Hi i am due to start my role in belfast fairly soon. How did you find working in the belfast office? Ive seen some pretty grim reviews on here
Original post by Ro1984

how long did it take you to hear back after the oac, get your offer, clearance and start date for belfast?
I know this is an old post, but I’ve just accepted a provisional offer as an asylum Decision Maker after being on the reserve list since April. Whereabouts is the Bootle office? I live in Bootle so it would be very handy!
Original post by Michellegm
I know this is an old post, but I’ve just accepted a provisional offer as an asylum Decision Maker after being on the reserve list since April. Whereabouts is the Bootle office? I live in Bootle so it would be very handy!

I’ve worked in the office at Liverpool.
I m not saying this for no reason as I’ve gone on to become a HEO with a couple of examples from DM role.

However in all honesty the job will destroy you. If you’ve got any other job offers, take them.
Also, the fact they are still taking from the reserve list from April shows people are constantly joining and leaving.

The department isn’t growing so that’s the only way April reserve list is happening.
Original post by Ufc1993
I’ve worked in the office at Liverpool.
I m not saying this for no reason as I’ve gone on to become a HEO with a couple of examples from DM role.

However in all honesty the job will destroy you. If you’ve got any other job offers, take them.

Hi, thanks for your advice. Where did you move on to from the DM role? And what targets do they set exactly - in relation to what?
I am due to start in Liverpool and I'm trying to decide whether to already apply for another CS role
Hi, Just passed interview and wondered if there is a credit check involved. I have an IVA with one year left, kept up with all the payments. I'm worried it is going to stop me getting clearance. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending