The Joker is an everyday reality for people of color and the LGBTQ+ community Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Will The Joker help white people empathise with marginalized folx? Or is it a bad film that seeks to justify white male anger?

https://twitter.com/bjcolangelo/stat...52354491863042
Ruhab Dabeer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Will The Joker help white people empathise with marginalized folx? Or is it a bad film that seeks to justify white male anger?

No idea
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I loved the film and it did help me empathise with all marginalised people, but I wouldn't single out any particular groups in that
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"seeks to justify white male anger"

:wtf:
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
"seeks to justify white male anger"

:wtf:
Yeah I just thought it was a good film to watch with my popcorn
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Yeah I just thought it was a good film to watch with my popcorn
Exactly. It's about a man with serious mental health issues - it's not about race.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another misguided opinion, this is the life of all marginalised groups including white people, not excluding them.

Being white does not exclude you from marginalisation.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Another misguided opinion, this is the life of all marginalised groups including white people, not excluding them.

Exactly, the Joker was portrayed as someone with mental health issues (who happened to be white) who was representative in a way of any vulnerable person in society
Ruhab Dabeer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)

Funny profile pic
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The experience of people of colour is surely very different in America, for good and bad, in America than it is in the UK.

That's because the experience of people of ANY colour is surely very different in America, for good and bad, in America than it is in the UK.

Whilst explicit racism might be more prevalent in the USA, it's possible that implicit racism is more prevalent in the older countries.

The movie is more about a specific working class / marginalised / sensitive / artistic person and how the sheer numbers of people in the big city happens to be both impersonal AND their saviour.

Life can be tougher for some people in small villages / small towns than in big cities. But this story is about The Joker and he happens to live in a big city.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

That's making an implicit assumption there that no white people ever suffer any kind of hardship or marginalisation, which is demonstrably false. I grew up in a largely working class, rural area that was near enough 100% white and saw first hand the absolute hellish existence some of the people around me lived. Short, brutal lives frequently marred by unemployment, poor health, depression, broken families, violence, drug and alcohol abuse, and being rural, they are cut off from the support services you might be able to find in larger towns and cities.

These impoverished, marginalised white people exist, all over Britain, Europe, Australia and North America, and yet the bluecheck twitter types like the ***** you linked to would seemingly rather pretend that they don't exist, and will laugh, scoff and blithely dismiss any white person, who may well be suffering real hardship and has found a sense of resonance with The Joker movie. So much for having empathy for others.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by diddydecalt)
take that back 😁
Last edited by Just my opinion; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
take that back you goddam nazi😁
No :fuhrer:
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
White males can be gay 🤯
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It would be nice to be able to live my life without Batman's arch nemesis constantly pulling deadly pranks on me, I'll admit. :sadnod:
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah yes, as a local lesbian gay bisexual transgender queer I like to put on clown makeup and stand and stare into my mirror for hours on end. Finally greater society can understand my plight - grease paint prices are up 5%.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Beating a dead horse, the movie has been out for months already lol.

If cisphobic is a term - she would definitely fit this monicker, since she clearly views the mental health problems of cis-het people as less of a concern than that of others.

Maintain that these views are dangerous. They somewhat prove that it is possible to make majority groups feel marginalised, or at least lead things towards that happening. I do hope that this utterly illiberal leftism dies soon before it causes more serious damage and divide in society.

Imagine missing the point of Joker when the entire movie isn't about "Muh white str8 boi" and more of "a mentally ill man in the worst environment imaginable becoming the most terrifying criminal in comics".

But nah, anything to fit your narrative of self importance.
This tweet nails it.
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What is wrong with these people? I swear they have something wrong with them to hate everything so much.

And wtf is "folx"? Is that a non-gendered version of an already non-gendered word?? WTF
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by frantika)
What is wrong with these people? I swear they have something wrong with them to hate everything so much.

And wtf is "folx"? Is that a non-gendered version of an already non-gendered word?? WTF
I found this odd, too...
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Beating a dead horse, the movie has been out for months already lol.

If cisphobic is a term - she would definitely fit this monicker, since she clearly views the mental health problems of cis-het people as less of a concern than that of others.

Maintain that these views are dangerous. They somewhat prove that it is possible to make majority groups feel marginalised, or at least lead things towards that happening. I do hope that this utterly illiberal leftism dies soon before it causes more serious damage and divide in society.

This tweet nails it.
Agree 100%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (298)
60.45%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.87%
No- I want it (135)
27.38%
No- I don't want it (36)
7.3%

Watched Threads