I can't decide what subjects to take in Year 12. Watch

Namya654
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, I'm in Year 11 and I need to choose what subjects to take for AS next year. I want to study computer science/computer engineering in university, and I plan to study in America (hopefully in MIT or Stanford!). I know I'm going to take Maths, Computer Science, and Physics, but I don't know whether I should take History or Chemistry as my fourth option. Is Chemistry a requirement? Because I'd like to take History if I can, and have a humanity on my list, but I know Chemistry might be a better option. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
Lesley Moody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi
Lesley Moody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im in y12 and I had a friend similar he has a youtube channel called blazerage32. go check him out.
joshua lloyd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am currently in year 12. chemistry is alright but it does require a lot of work - especially organic. You should be fine doing the three A levels you have listed, universities don't require anyone to do four A levels anyway. I would advise that you just stick to three and get high grades in those rather than excert yourself too much on doing four, especially when it is not even necessary. what are you predicted to achieve in your G.C.S.E's?
Namya654
Rep:
?
I’ve actually taken GCSE Maths and English Language already, with an A* in both. I have a predicted A* in my other 7 subjects too although my sciences are all an A*/A. I know 4 A levels isn’t necessary, but I really want to take 4 and I’m willing to put in whatever work it will take. Both chemistry and history have their difficulties but I can’t figure out which one will be more beneficially to me in future. What would you suggest?
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Namya654)
I’ve actually taken GCSE Maths and English Language already, with an A* in both. I have a predicted A* in my other 7 subjects too although my sciences are all an A*/A. I know 4 A levels isn’t necessary, but I really want to take 4 and I’m willing to put in whatever work it will take. Both chemistry and history have their difficulties but I can’t figure out which one will be more beneficially to me in future. What would you suggest?
Why not take FM as a 4th (instead of chemistry)
_gracecharlie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
maybe FM? or equally you'll probably need to do SATs or similar (?) to apply to American courses so maybe you should do three and spend more time preparing for that
Treetop321
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't take chemistry unless you have to. Literally no one in my year likes it. It is the worst
username5093898
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you don’t need to take 4, so just stick to the 3 - maybe with an As, EPQ or FM? there’s literally no reason to take 4 full a levels. instead focus on doing well in your 3, doing extra curriculars, work experience, etc. it’ll serve more useful than 4 a levels.
Namya654
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Why not take FM as a 4th (instead of chemistry)
I can't take further maths for A level next year. I would be doing AS maths if I wasn't doing it a year early. I can take A level maths next year and then further maths in year 13, but not next year.
Namya654
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bmg1374)
you don’t need to take 4, so just stick to the 3 - maybe with an As, EPQ or FM? there’s literally no reason to take 4 full a levels. instead focus on doing well in your 3, doing extra curriculars, work experience, etc. it’ll serve more useful than 4 a levels.
(Original post by _gracecharlie)
maybe FM? or equally you'll probably need to do SATs or similar (?) to apply to American courses so maybe you should do three and spend more time preparing for that
Everyone is saying I don't need to do 4 a levels; I know I don't but I'm definitely going to. These are my AS exams and not my A levels; plus, I'm doing a bunch of extracurricular stuff (I play piano and violin, fundraise for charity, Duke of Edinburgh silver, I play tennis and basketball, I do Model United Nations, write for my school magazine, and robotics and programming) but I'm going to take 4 levels and work hard enough to achieve high grades in all of them. I just can't figure out whether chem or history would be better for my career path.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?