Lords reject the Withdrawal agreement Watch

Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure if any of you lot are still following the brexit debacle? However if any of you are, the unelected elite chamber just blocked Johnsons bill
They have made 3 amendments and returned it too the commons.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They haven't blocked it, they have made 3 amendments, they will then drop them because they don't want to be responsible for a clean break. It is pretty standard practice for the Lords to amend bills, if their job was just to rubber stamp what the Commons does they'd serve no purpose.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
They haven't blocked it, they have made 3 amendments, they will then drop them because they don't want to be responsible for a clean break. It is pretty standard practice for the Lords to amend bills, if their job was just to rubber stamp what the Commons does they'd serve no purpose.
They have blocked it going to the queen, I said they have made 3 amendments and have not implied there is anything usual about this.

It wont make any difference anyway the government have the numbers to override it and it will get royal assent by the end of the week or the start of next week, I would guess.
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 4 weeks ago
Kitten in boots
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They introduced anendements because they can see sloppily drafted legislation creating problems down the line for people.

In other words, they are doing their job.

You voted for the very party that is not only unlikely to ever introduce serious Lords reform, but also believe the elite have to right to paternalistically govern over little people like yourself.

So trying to use unelected elite as a jibe has a real comic irony to it.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
They introduced anendements because they can see sloppily drafted legislation creating problems down the line for people.

In other words, they are doing their job.

You voted for the very party that is not only unlikely to ever introduce serious Lords reform, but also believe the elite have to right to paternalistically govern over little people like yourself.

So trying to use unelected elite as a jibe has a real comic irony to it.
One such amendment they have placed puts the superiority of EU law back in every court in the land bar the supreme court.

And by the way, I'm actually a life long believer in getting rid of the hereditary political peers, royal and upper chamber. I voted for the least worst option as did the majority of the country. Lords reform or abolishment is right near the top my my agenda.

The lords are untouchable by the electorate, that's why the numbers have not changed in the upper chamber. Are you saying the lords are not elite?
RealLifeJoker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I'm not sure if any of you lot are still following the brexit debacle? However if any of you are, the unelected elite chamber just blocked Johnsons bill
They have made 3 amendments and returned it too the commons.
Boris deal isn’t Brexit, just saying
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by RealLifeJoker)
Boris deal isn’t Brexit, just saying
That's a matter of opinion, but remaining under the control of EU law certainly isnt.
RealLifeJoker
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's a matter of opinion, but remaining under the control of EU law certainly isnt.
Do you we should leave WTO terms or a better deal?
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would be happy for the HoL to chance their arm and try the amendments again when they inevitably get rejected in the HoC, there would be something quite poetic about all these arch remainers causing a no deal brexit.
To make things clear I'm not concerned for 1 second about us leaving on WTO terms, the bull**** scaremongering about stuff like all the financial companies moving out of London if it were to happen have been proven wrong time and time again, how many jobs was it we would lose again?
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It wont make any difference anyway the government have the numbers to override it and it will get royal assent by the end of the week or the start of next week, I would guess.
So this is a non-story? 🤔
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
So this is a non-story? 🤔
Mmm not a non story, I assume people know the role of both houses, however assumption is the mother of all mistakes. Judging by some conversationscive had on here, maybe they dont?

Oh lord, I'm past giving much of brown one about how we leave. I'm going to be honest, I'm mega angry at my party (labour) for playing silly games with the national interest, voting against what we claimed we wanted!

I'd personally of took May's deal, I just want an end to this entire mess.

(Original post by ColinDent)
I would be happy for the HoL to chance their arm and try the amendments again when they inevitably get rejected in the HoC, there would be something quite poetic about all these arch remainers causing a no deal brexit.
To make things clear I'm not concerned for 1 second about us leaving on WTO terms, the bull**** scaremongering about stuff like all the financial companies moving out of London if it were to happen have been proven wrong time and time again, how many jobs was it we would lose again?
It will be the end of western civilisation as we know it... remember

I don't think that will happen, the ping pong of HoL vs HoC delay that the lords could cause is unlikely. I'll place a friendly bet that royal assent will be given to the bill as it is now, less the lords amendments by Monday night.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mmm not a non story, I assume people know the role of both houses, however assumption is the mother of all mistakes. Judging by some conversationscive had on here, maybe they dont?

Oh lord, I'm past giving much of brown one about how we leave. I'm going to be honest, I'm mega angry at my party (labour) for playing silly games with the national interest, voting against what we claimed we wanted!

I'd personally of took May's deal, I just want an end to this entire mess.

It will be the end of western civilisation as we know it... remember

I don't think that will happen, the ping pong of HoL vs HoC delay that the lords could cause is unlikely. I'll place a friendly bet that royal assent will be given to the bill as it is now, less the lords amendments by Monday night.
I shan't take you up on that friendly bet as I agree with you.

Sadly I fear I will never get to enjoy that little piece of chardenfroid.

By the way no one has mentioned this piece of awful news for our ongoing economy on here so I'll bring it up now, who'd of thought that this might happen if some UK financial establishments needed to open offices in the EU?

https://www.cityam.com/over-1000-eu-...-after-brexit/

Oh yeah, most normal thinking people.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColinDent)
I shan't take you up on that friendly bet as I agree with you.

Sadly I fear I will never get to enjoy that little piece of chardenfroid.

By the way no one has mentioned this piece of awful news for our ongoing economy on here so I'll bring it up now, who'd of thought that this might happen if some UK financial establishments needed to open offices in the EU?

https://www.cityam.com/over-1000-eu-...-after-brexit/

Oh yeah, most normal thinking people.
Crazy isnt it?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They have blocked it going to the queen, I said they have made 3 amendments and have not implied there is anything usual about this.

The Lords proposing amendments to Commons bills is pretty standard practice...
If the Commons does not agree to the amendments it does not become law, the Lords still has to pass an identical bill to the Commons for Royal Assent without utilising the Parliament acts, which are somewhat irrelevant given use of the Parliament Acts would push back the bill becoming law to 2021
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And back off to the HoL the bill goes, still unamended.

Over to the Peers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51210602
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And MPs have just voted against it. Lovely.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
And MPs have just voted against it. Lovely.
No, they voted to reject the amendments
MrMusician95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, they voted to reject the amendments
Read the thread title wrong. But it's ridiculous they've just voted against the child refugee amendment.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
Read the thread title wrong. But it's ridiculous they've just voted against the child refugee amendment.
Not really, it isn't an omnibus bill and given the numbers in the Commons there is no need to accept irrelevant amendments to try to get extra votes anymore
MrMusician95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not really, it isn't an omnibus bill and given the numbers in the Commons there is no need to accept irrelevant amendments to try to get extra votes anymore
Irrelevant amendments? How is allowing child refugees to come to the UK to stay with relatives, irrelevant?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads