hugojenner
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I am currently in year 12 and my A levels are economics, English literature and history and an EPQ. My predicted grades for my A levels are two A* and an A and an A* for my EPQ. I wish to study law at Cambridge or LSE and perhaps even maybe an Ivy League in the US such as Yale or Harvard. However, the problem is that my GCSE grades are not that amazing:

English language 7
English literature 8
Math 7
Biology 7
Physics 8
Chemistry 7
Business 6
History 5
Arabic C

During my GCSEs, I just was not motivated at all and thus did not revise however I know that if I did revise I would be capable of doing much better. Now my problem is that universities take into consideration your predicted grades and your AS grades however all of my subjects are linear except economics so I do not have that much to show them. Is there a way for me to prove to these universities my academic intelligence, perhaps self-studying an AS subject and privately sitting it? My extracurriculars are really good I just need to find a way to prove my academic capabilities. Please help me. Thank you.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you get rejected then take a gap year and reapply with hopefully stellar A-level grades.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hugojenner)
So I am currently in year 12 and my A levels are economics, English literature and history and an EPQ. My predicted grades for my A levels are two A* and an A and an A* for my EPQ. I wish to study law at Cambridge or LSE and perhaps even maybe an Ivy League in the US such as Yale or Harvard. However, the problem is that my GCSE grades are not that amazing:

English language 7
English literature 8
Math 7
Biology 7
Physics 8
Chemistry 7
Business 6
History 5
Arabic C

During my GCSEs, I just was not motivated at all and thus did not revise however I know that if I did revise I would be capable of doing much better. Now my problem is that universities take into consideration your predicted grades and your AS grades however all of my subjects are linear except economics so I do not have that much to show them. Is there a way for me to prove to these universities my academic intelligence, perhaps self-studying an AS subject and privately sitting it? My extracurriculars are really good I just need to find a way to prove my academic capabilities. Please help me. Thank you.
Firstly Cambridge LSE and Ivy league universities are hugely competitive and there is no guarantee that you will get in whatever your results. Far more get rejected than accepted. Secondly your GCSEs are good and Cambridge in particular dont pay a great deal of notice to GCSEs. LSE do and I suspect that Havard and Yale will. It might be worth applying to Cambridge and considering whether it is worth applying to the others. However there are many other excellent universities for Law and you could apply to the likes of UCL, Kings and Bristol. All of these will require you to take and perform well in the LNAT exam. Other than those the likes of Exeter, Southampton and others are likely to make your offers should your predicted grades be high enough and dont require LNAT.

As far as linear exams and predicted grades are concerned perhaps your refence can explain the improvement since GCSE as a reason for the increased predictions.
hugojenner
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Do you suggest that I should self study for an AS Level and sit the exam privately this summer and then continue that subject for A-Level in school in year 13? Do you know what the best subjects are for self-studying that I would be able to start studying from now? I am good at essay writing.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you suggest that I should self study for an AS Level and sit the exam privately this summer and then continue that subject for A-Level in school in year 13? Do you know what the best subjects are for self-studying that I would be able to start studying from now? I am good at essay writing.
I would continue as you are. Your referee can explain the predicted grades. Since Gove changed the exam system in England very few sit AS levels
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The AS is Year 1 of the A-Level course. There's no additional self-studying needed.

But if your school doesn't allow you to take an AS then you will not be disadvantaged by Cambridge. Just get your referee to mention it in the reference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads