Is online banking safe? - HELP Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Should I download the app on my phone? It would be convenient to check the amount I have on my phone instead of waiting for slips via post.

So, is it safe?
Thanks
katymay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Should I download the app on my phone? It would be convenient to check the amount I have on my phone instead of waiting for slips via post.

So, is it safe?
Thanks
As long as only you have access to your phone, i.e. fingerprints or any banking details but that applies to using the web version too!
Using the app can allow you to immediately freeze your account if you have lost your card without the hassle and can be a quicker way to check your balance. I would completely recommend it
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I like online banking but i've never been comfortable using/installing it on my phone, at least I know my PC at home has a lock and key.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
I like online banking but i've never been comfortable using/installing it on my phone, at least I know my PC at home has a lock and key.
I guess if you log into the app and log out, it might feel 'safe'?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I guess if you log into the app and log out, it might feel 'safe'?
It might, I still wouldn't, that's just me though, i'm still a bit cagey about wifi as well, i spent a few years pirating it and was kinda shocked how open a lot of it was.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Perfectly safe, the apps are well encrypted and regularly updated.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Perfectly safe, the apps are well encrypted and regularly updated.
Perfect. Do you know what a "personal or premier customer" and "business customer" is? It's asking me what type of customer I am and I think I am "credit card only customer" but I don't know what the other two mean. I set this account with my parent like years ago and don't remember these details and don't know where to find them.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, it's safe.

I use Bank of Scotland and getting into their app is a nightmare. I've almost locked myself out numerous times. 😂 Logs you out after 10 mins.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Perfect. Do you know what a "personal or premier customer" and "business customer" is? It's asking me what type of customer I am and I think I am "credit card only customer" but I don't know what the other two mean. I set this account with my parent like years ago and don't remember these details and don't know where to find them.
Probably personal.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
It might, I still wouldn't, that's just me though, i'm still a bit cagey about wifi as well, i spent a few years pirating it and was kinda shocked how open a lot of it was.
howwww!!
How do you pirate wifi? I get into trouble for making honest mistakes. I would be in fear of being sued to ever do something like this. lolz
Anonymous #1
The world is messing with me today. HOw the **** do I have a skype account when I didn't make one??
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
howwww!!
How do you pirate wifi? I get into trouble for making honest mistakes. I would be in fear of being sued to ever do something like this. lolz
I should add i'm going back best part of 10 year ago here, I suspect they have changed it now :P but it honestly used to be easy, you just got an oversized antenna and aimed it out the window, in a busy area you'd pick up maybe 30-40 networks, out of those at least 1 or 2 will simply have no security and a strong enough signal to practically use. For ones with various levels of security (it was summat called WPA & WPK at the time I think) you could download wee programs that just forced past them, or at worst you had to get a 2nd antenna to aim at it and trick it into sending you the code. I never knew the technical details, but it took like an hours google reading to work out.

(I mention this as a story only, i do not advise doing it, i suspect the same methods no longer work and the law takes a dimmer view of it)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (46)
31.08%
No (76)
51.35%
Don't know (26)
17.57%

Watched Threads