Do mobile speed cameras look at what you're doing inside the car? Watch

cookingwithgas
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
And what's the focal length of them usually? Or is the operator zooming in and out constantly?

Would they try and prosecute you for looking like you pressed something on your mobile *once*? I mean, from a head on angle it's not possible to see if a single finger actually made contact, you'd need a side or overhead camera.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cookingwithgas)
And what's the focal length of them usually? Or is the operator zooming in and out constantly?

Would they try and prosecute you for looking like you pressed something on your mobile *once*? I mean, from a head on angle it's not possible to see if a single finger actually made contact, you'd need a side or overhead camera.
Yes, actually that's why you find the mobile speed cameras in some fixed camera zones.

They can see up to around 1-2 miles away.
cookingwithgas
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Yes, actually that's why you find the mobile speed cameras in some fixed camera zones.

They can see up to around 1-2 miles away.
I know they can see far away, but that's slight different. If they zoom really far away but fix the focal length and position, then a constant stream of cars will come in to frame, into focus, then out again at a single location.

An alternate way might be to try and focus on 1 car for the entire length as it comes towards the camera, then going back to the long distance to get another car.

If it's not zoomed in as much then they can't see clearly what they're doing inside the cars can they?

I'm not sure how people usually get done for "being on a mobile". I'm assuming holding one to your head would be blindingly obvious.

Less clear cut would be when the angle of the shot can't establish actual physical contact. Like if an object was in front me with you looking at me from an acute angle at mostly level height , can you establish when I have actually made touch contact with the item?
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know they can see far away, but that's slight different. If they zoom really far away but fix the focal length and position, then a constant stream of cars will come in to frame, into focus, then out again at a single location.

An alternate way might be to try and focus on 1 car for the entire length as it comes towards the camera, then going back to the long distance to get another car.

If it's not zoomed in as much then they can't see clearly what they're doing inside the cars can they?

I'm not sure how people usually get done for "being on a mobile". I'm assuming holding one to your head would be blindingly obvious.

Less clear cut would be when the angle of the shot can't establish actual physical contact. Like if an object was in front me with you looking at me from an acute angle at mostly level height , can you establish when I have actually made touch contact with the item?
Depends what model camera they were using at the time.

Depends on how you held the mobile.

Depends if the operator was locked onto you.

Wait 14 days see if you get a golden ticket (note: there are exceptions to this rule).

Section 41 of Road Traffic Act dictates that it is an offence to use a mobile telephone or any other hand held device whilst driving. So I'll put the question to you. When your "single finger actually made contact," were you using the phone?
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 4 weeks ago
cookingwithgas
Rep:
?
Depends what model camera they were using at the time.

Depends on how you held the mobile.

Depends if the operator was locked onto you.

Wait 14 days see if you get a golden ticket (note: there are exceptions to this rule).

Section 41 of Road Traffic Act dictates that it is an offence to use a mobile telephone or any other hand held device whilst driving. So I'll put the question to you. When your "single finger actually made contact," were you using the phone?
I never said "my single finger made contact", I tried to say from a frontal angle, it can look equally plausible that one touched the phone as opposed to withdrawing one's hand when the mobile camera van was spotted"
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes they catch people making tiktoks in their car
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I never said "my single finger made contact", I tried to say from a frontal angle, it can look equally plausible that one touched the phone as opposed to withdrawing one's hand when the mobile camera van was spotted"
Ok, so do you require any help or are you just going to keep rambling?

If it's the latter, I'm going to have to shut this thread.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nick Knowles was convicted for using his mobile via evidence from a mobile speed cam:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-48608963

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8955116.html

So yes, yes they can.
cookingwithgas
Rep:
?

What do you mean I'm "rambling"? I tried to ask cogent questions and make pertinent points. You can shut the thread if you want cos you're the mod but I'm definitely not "rambling"
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

damn you can close threads? :eek::eek:
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Enjoy the 6 points on your licence and the £200 fine.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can touch buttons on your car... if you used your mobile phone and they clearly saw you do it then yeah you’re in trouble. I turn my music up on the built in dashboard but dont touch my phone... obviously there are things you need to do in your car like turn your heating on/off etc.
Aaron702
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Cameras can focus up to an infinite plane. It is possible to take a picture with the entire foreground, subject and background in focus but most cameras don't do this. If you have a DSLR, put it in manual mode and set the aperture to a really high number.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads