Can a masters mark drop significantly when reviewed by external examiner? Watch

mjmorg86
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know this is a silly question but I think im just panicking and need some reassurance. I have just received my mark from my dissertation. It has passed by only 8% (but had two markers, one had given it 12% over pass mark, but I was awarded the lower mark). I was completely shocked as I've been very ill during my studies and assumed I would fail. I have no idea how to adjust to the mind set that I might receive my masters after all (all the other requirements are met, so just the dissertation to pass left). The trouble is I wont know for sure until the exam board meets this june. And when that happens this mark needs to also go through an outside marker. Im terrified it will go from a pass to a fail at that stage, and just wondered what the likelihood of that happening is? Thanks.
Last edited by mjmorg86; 1 month ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mjmorg86)
I know this is a silly question but I think im just panicking and need some reassurance. I have just received my mark from my dissertation. It has passed by only 8% (but had two markers, one had given it 12% over pass mark, but I was awarded the lower mark). I was completely shocked as I've been very ill during my studies and assumed I would fail. I have no idea how to adjust to the mind set that I might receive my masters after all (all the other requirements are met, so just the dissertation to pass left). The trouble is I wont know for sure until the exam board meets this june. And when that happens this mark needs to also go through an outside marker. Im terrified it will go from a pass to a fail at that stage, and just wondered what the likelihood of that happening is? Thanks.
Did you put in an extenuating circs claim?
Put one in.
External markers are there for quality control. Both of the markers passed you. so I would be less worried as it means both of them would have to be out by a further 8% and I think that is less likely. Nobody is going to be able to give you a definitive answer, but in that situation I would be much less worried and also theres nothing you can do.
jmcloughlin9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mjmorg86)
Hi there, hopefully a bit of explanation to why this happened. From my own experience for my undergrad in psychology, your dissertation is marked by your supervisor and another member of staff, if the marks are more than 5% different then it would raise a problem. Now the reason you got the Lower mark is because your supervisor who I’m assuming is the primary person to mark the dissertation will he mark you got given as the first mark is taken, even if the second marker gives it a higher grade. However, like I said if the second marker gave it more than 5% difference in grades then it would have to be remarked.
So basically if 2 people have marked your dissertation and theyve managed to keep in the 5% interval, I’m sure the external examination will also. So if the external examiner gives a lower mark, as long as it’s no less than 5% you’ll still get the 58.
Hope this helps.
mjmorg86
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you both, your replies have helped a lot to put my mind at rest. I did put in the extenuating circumstances form too. I just have to try not to think about it till june/august! Thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?