Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I need advice please. I received a high mark on my dissertation and my tutor wants me to publish. I have to options to publish on my own with guidance or to publish with them as co author. I’m not sure what to do. I feel like I want to publish on my own but I feel selfish, and it limits my journal selection. Yet if I publish with my tutor as co author I may recieve more options. Any advice thoughts and opinions would be great
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I need advice please. I received a high mark on my dissertation and my tutor wants me to publish. I have to options to publish on my own with guidance or to publish with them as co author. I’m not sure what to do. I feel like I want to publish on my own but I feel selfish, and it limits my journal selection. Yet if I publish with my tutor as co author I may recieve more options. Any advice thoughts and opinions would be great
Publishing with your tutor will give you more options and a greater likelihood of the article actually seeing the light of day.

If you do that, make sure that the authors are listed as "Yourname and Tutorname" rather than the other way around. My postgraduate dissertation was published and as well as my tutor's name there was also the name of a previous student whose work I had expanded into a new area. By academic convention the article was therefore cited as "Myname et al". 😁
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Publishing with your tutor will give you more options and a greater likelihood of the article actually seeing the light of day.

If you do that, make sure that the authors are listed as "Yourname and Tutorname" rather than the other way around. My postgraduate dissertation was published and as well as my tutor's name there was also the name of a previous student whose work I had expanded into a new area. By academic convention the article was therefore cited as "Myname et al". 😁
Than you so much!!!
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So congrats on the disso.
I would publish as co-author (you can still be the lead author and list your name first...) theres no real negative to having multiple authors, I would say most journal papers in academia have multiple authors (often 3,4,5+ authors is common).

Your Supervisor obviously wants their name on the paper, and its common place for supervisors to be co-authors.

I would say its better to have more authors and get published in as best a journal as possible, you want the research to be read after all...
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Possibly relevant joke:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (172)
66.93%
No (85)
33.07%

Watched Threads