Ucl asking for a second personal statement

Watch
Farhana001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello have applied for bio processing of new medicines at ucl I have just got an email and they asked for another personal statement more focused on the degree as in their words “I have not been able to tell them” haha I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a good sign as this is a second chance or do you think they offer this to every applicant ? Many thanks
Azotic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Farhana001)
Hello have applied for bio processing of new medicines at ucl I have just got an email and they asked for another personal statement more focused on the degree as in their words “I have not been able to tell them” haha I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a good sign as this is a second chance or do you think they offer this to every applicant ? Many thanks
I got the same request for optometry and got an offer after an interview so i would definitely not take it as a bad sign! I think its a really good thing because if they didnt want you they would has straight out rejected you, so its definitely a good sign!
Farhana001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Azotic)
I got the same request for optometry and got an offer after an interview so i would definitely not take it as a bad sign! I think its a really good thing because if they didnt want you they would has straight out rejected you, so its definitely a good sign!
In your second personal statement how did you differ it from the first ? I’m assuming you focused more on the degree but did you repeat anything from your first personal statement ? I’m a lil stuck on what not to write and how to start
Finito
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's probably a good thing. Your PS might have been too generic. For example, some people write sentences that can so easily fit in any PS just by changing one word.
S786S
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Farhana001)
In your second personal statement how did you differ it from the first ? I’m assuming you focused more on the degree but did you repeat anything from your first personal statement ? I’m a lil stuck on what not to write and how to start
Don't worry, this happens quite a lot especially when you apply for 2 different courses (e.g. one as a backup) but your UCAS application has your PS aimed at another. Definitely not a bad sign though.

Depends on the content of your PS, but you can most definitely repeat parts that are relevant or add to your reasoning for why you want to do this particular course, or any relevant experience you've had that adds to your skills / has taught you something important (relevant of course). But of course, they have asked for a new one, so do try to add in more specific details, and start fresh.

I would also suggest writing a paragraph on why you chose UCL for this particular course. This would be a really good way to impress them as it would be more specific and slightly different to other personal statements (especially as you're writing for one university only) whereas others' may have been more general. But I suggest adding this just before your conclusion as your passion/interest in the subject is more important in your PS. (it's also a good way to fill some space :lol: )

All the best.
Last edited by S786S; 1 year ago
Farhana001
Rep:
?
(Original post by SaraS786)
Don't worry, this happens quite a lot especially when you apply for 2 different courses (e.g. one as a backup) but your UCAS application has your PS aimed at another. Definitely not a bad sign though.

Depends on the content of your PS, but you can most definitely repeat parts that are relevant or add to your reasoning for why you want to do this particular course, or any relevant experience you've had that adds to your skills / has taught you something important (relevant of course). But of course, they have asked for a new one, so do try to add in more specific details, and start fresh.

I would also suggest writing a paragraph on why you chose UCL for this particular course. This would be a really good way to impress them as it would be more specific and slightly different to other personal statements (especially as you're writing for one university only) whereas others' may have been more general. But I suggest adding this just before your conclusion as your passion/interest in the subject is more important in your PS. (it's also a good way to fill some space :lol: )

All the best.
Thank you so much !!! yeah I’m gonna try and tailor it towards the uni I just wasn’t expecting them to ask for a second one I thought they would just flat out reject me I guess I’m just scared as I didn’t think I would get this far and I don’t want to mess up haha I’ll just try my best and remember that everything happens for a reason
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (8)
24.24%
No (25)
75.76%

Watched Threads