The Student Room Group

Septate hymen

Hi, so I discovered that I may have a septate hymen at the start of this year. I discovered it through using a tampon and it getting stuck so I then had a look and saw two holes. Basically after research I am certain I have one. I really want to have it removed instead of broken because I think it’ll be less painful. I also want it to be over and done with so I can use tampons properly and go swimming. It took me from the start of the month until now to pluck up the courage to talk to my mum about it. She was supportive and we’re going to go to the GP together. But I’m really scared/ worried. What if they say I’m fine (I know full well I have one), what if it hurts? Even if they do say I have one and refer my to a gynaecologist for surgery, how will that go? Will it hurt? I’ve never been put under general anaesthetic before so everything about thing is making me anxious. Has anyone had a similar experience that could help me? PLEASE!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I discovered that I may have a septate hymen at the start of this year. I discovered it through using a tampon and it getting stuck so I then had a look and saw two holes. Basically after research I am certain I have one. I really want to have it removed instead of broken because I think it’ll be less painful. I also want it to be over and done with so I can use tampons properly and go swimming. It took me from the start of the month until now to pluck up the courage to talk to my mum about it. She was supportive and we’re going to go to the GP together. But I’m really scared/ worried. What if they say I’m fine (I know full well I have one), what if it hurts? Even if they do say I have one and refer my to a gynaecologist for surgery, how will that go? Will it hurt? I’ve never been put under general anaesthetic before so everything about thing is making me anxious. Has anyone had a similar experience that could help me? PLEASE!

Hi hunni ,

Sounds like you having problems with the tampons, use a smaller one if you having issues,
Majority of females only have the one hymen ok, as once that's broken with the guy p***s then its done, now I won't think the hospital will remove it because its natural for this too be broken with the guy p***s and if he does it right it won't hurt as bad as you think. Only way its going to hurt you if the guy p****s is far to big for your v*****a and this will hurt you badly, so usually you go on top of the guy and have full control of how far its goes inside of you.

Don't be scared as there's nothing to really worry you on it, you are normal girl but just worrying on this matter, good you spoken to your mum on this and she's seems to be happy that you did so rather than go behind her back .
Reply 2
Any surgery done may well be done under local anesthetic if you wish as its an outpatient surgery try not to worry too much.

Its good you're seeing your GP you will be able to figure out whats best :smile:
Original post by Elektra06
Any surgery done may well be done under local anesthetic if you wish as its an outpatient surgery try not to worry too much.

Its good you're seeing your GP you will be able to figure out whats best :smile:

I don't think it can be done under local anaesthetic.

Personally, I would just try to have sex and only opt for surgery if sex was an issue.
Hi, so I discovered that I may have a septate hymen at the start of this year. I discovered it through using a tampon and it getting stuck so I then had a look and saw two holes. Basically after research I am certain I have one. I really want to have it removed instead of broken because I think it’ll be less painful. I also want it to be over and done with so I can use tampons properly and go swimming. It took me from the start of the month until now to pluck up the courage to talk to my mum about it. She was supportive and we’re going to go to the GP together. But I’m really scared/ worried. What if they say I’m fine (I know full well I have one), what if it hurts? Even if they do say I have one and refer my to a gynaecologist for surgery, how will that go? Will it hurt? I’ve never been put under general anaesthetic before so everything about thing is making me anxious. Has anyone had a similar experience that could help me? Please

I would definitely recommend continuing the communication with your mum, and writing down a list of questions to ask your GP. Anything that you might be worried about at all, then you should ask. If you are not due to see your GP again regarding this referral then I would even book in just to see them for the sole purpose of asking questions to ease your mind, or when you do eventually see a consultant at whichever hospital you're being referred to then they might be able to answer your questions better. As for the people replying to this thread advising you to have sex without knowing your age - please ignore them. The hymen is just a part of our natural anatomy that can be broken in everyday activities such as horse riding or sports, it doesn't necessarily have to do with sexual intercourse. From first impression you sound quite young - please do not have sex until you are sure you are ready, and treat this septate hymen as a seperate thing completely. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
I would definitely recommend continuing the communication with your mum, and writing down a list of questions to ask your GP. Anything that you might be worried about at all, then you should ask. If you are not due to see your GP again regarding this referral then I would even book in just to see them for the sole purpose of asking questions to ease your mind, or when you do eventually see a consultant at whichever hospital you're being referred to then they might be able to answer your questions better. As for the people replying to this thread advising you to have sex without knowing your age - please ignore them. The hymen is just a part of our natural anatomy that can be broken in everyday activities such as horse riding or sports, it doesn't necessarily have to do with sexual intercourse. From first impression you sound quite young - please do not have sex until you are sure you are ready, and treat this septate hymen as a seperate thing completely. Good luck :smile:

Thankyou so much. I am a virgin and quite young and the whole point is that when the time come for me to be ready to have sex, I don’t want it to hurt / be an issue. I will make a list of questions to ask the GP!
Thankyou so much. I am a virgin and quite young and the whole point is that when the time come for me to be ready to have sex, I don’t want it to hurt / be an issue. I will make a list of questions to ask the GP!

No problem at all. One thing that is great about the NHS is that the GPs are here to help us, remember that. They have to answer any questions you're worried about and take their time to explain things properly, and in a way that you understand, to hopefully calm some of your anxiety. Of course, you'll still be slightly anxious - that's normal. Just keep talking and communicating with whoever you trust, whoever you feel close to, to offload some of your worries. I'm sure you will get there in the end sweety :smile:
Reply 7
No problem at all. One thing that is great about the NHS is that the GPs are here to help us, remember that. They have to answer any questions you're worried about and take their time to explain things properly, and in a way that you understand, to hopefully calm some of your anxiety. Of course, you'll still be slightly anxious - that's normal. Just keep talking and communicating with whoever you trust, whoever you feel close to, to offload some of your worries. I'm sure you will get there in the end sweety :smile:

Thankyou SO MUCH. You have really helped! Have you had the same issue as me in regards to the septate hymen?
Reply 8

Your gp will reassure you!
Thankyou SO MUCH. You have really helped! Have you had the same issue as me in regards to the septate hymen?

No. I had a congenital breast deformity which bothered me throughout school and college until I eventually got surgery to correct it. :smile:
No. I had a congenital breast deformity which bothered me throughout school and college until I eventually got surgery to correct it. :smile:

Ohhhh, well I’m glad you got it sorted!

Quick Reply

Latest