Kit_the_fisto101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Ca you do RE A level without doing the GCSE? Can someone also tell me what A Level philosophy is like?
GreySkies_22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Kit_the_fisto101)
Ca you do RE A level without doing the GCSE? Can someone also tell me what A Level philosophy is like?
It depends on your school/the school you chose to go to for Sixth Form but I’m in year 12 right now and my school has let me study RE (Philosophy and Ethics) for A levels, despite me not doing it at GCSE. If you don’t study RE at GCSE then they judge whether to let you study it at A Level based on your English grades. I like the subject personally, just a lot of essay writing though.
Kit_the_fisto101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by GreySkies_22)
It depends on your school/the school you chose to go to for Sixth Form but I’m in year 12 right now and my school has let me study RE (Philosophy and Ethics) for A levels, despite me not doing it at GCSE. If you don’t study RE at GCSE then they judge whether to let you study it at A Level based on your English grades. I like the subject personally, just a lot of essay writing though.
Okay thank you! I’ll try and do well in English then
Bethbxo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No, you don't have to do RE at GCSE in order to do it at A levels. It's very different though! It's subdivided across 3 areas: Philosophy (which is concerned with deep, meaningful questions about the world around us), Ethics (which looks at key ethical theories, e.g Natural Law, Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics which you have to evaluate and apply to other areas of the course, e.g business/sexual ethics) and Developments in Christian Thought (which includes biblical passages and is arguably most like RE at GCSE). It is interesting, although there is a lot of content to cover, especially with the Philosophy module.
GreySkies_22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Bethbxo)
No, you don't have to do RE at GCSE in order to do it at A levels. It's very different though! It's subdivided across 3 areas: Philosophy (which is concerned with deep, meaningful questions about the world around us), Ethics (which looks at key ethical theories, e.g Natural Law, Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics which you have to evaluate and apply to other areas of the course, e.g business/sexual ethics) and Developments in Christian Thought (which includes biblical passages and is arguably most like RE at GCSE). It is interesting, although there is a lot of content to cover, especially with the Philosophy module.
Literally ! There is so much content I’m actually stressing about the ethics mock I got next week
Bethbxo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by GreySkies_22)
Literally ! There is so much content I’m actually stressing about the ethics mock I got next week
The ethics segment isn't bad so to say. It's probably the easiest of all three in that once you know the ethical theories you're set, but it's so time-consuming! You effectively need to know the theories inside out, from key scholars to strengths and weakness and how it would apply to each and every topic. I had my ethics mock last week. I thought it went relatively well. Just remember, when revising for the mock focus on the second year content more than the first year content. That was my biggest mistake. The AS paper covers the first-year content, so there's always more questions on the A2 content than there is AS (which is helpful given that the A2 content is half that of what you learn in AS)!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
35.95%
No (80)
52.29%
I don't know (18)
11.76%

Watched Threads