The Student Room Group

GCSEs and A Levels

Hi everyone
My first post here, so do not know the rules.
I am a Canadian, currently in grade 9 (Born Oct 2005). I wish to study my Secondary school in UK. We in Canada call it High school though.
So I was searching online and now I am confused; what is the UK counterpart for Grade 11 and 12 of Canada? Do I need to do GCSE or A level first?
Are GCSEs/A levels standard for all in UK, like even for domestic students or are these a criteria only for International students.
Please help me guys; Thanks in advance.
Sai Verma
Vancouver BC, Canada
Reply 1
GCSE’s come first. You do these at the end of Year 11 (aged 15/16). Most people take 4-11 different subjects depending on what your school offers. It’s usually compulsory to sit an English Language GCSE, an English Literature GCSE and Maths GCSE. A lot of schools you have to either do double award science GCSE where they combine your grades or triple award science where you get a GCSE in Chemistry, Physics and Biology separately.
Then you usually sit A Levels aged 17/18 at the end of Year 13, but there are still some courses that require you to sit an AS level at the end of year 12 (aged 16/17). Theres also a qualification called BTEC which some schools offer. That’s the basic layout of secondary school qualifications for England, if you were looking at Scotland I can’t help you there it’s a different system. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks a lot; one more question. Are there any public schools in and around London who accept International Students for GCSEs! The private schools have very hefty fees. Please guide. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest