The Student Room Group

Is it okay to be the same as everyone else?

I was wondering, should people really strive to make themselves identifiable from the rest? Or should they conform (maybe to the boring old british norms a.k.a you're weird unless you are like this: _______)?

Such things as being very agreeing or wearing what everyone else wears bc it's in or maybe listening to the same music everyone else does, should you really be fine with this?

Honestly most of the time idk whether if it's to do with finding yourself comfortable so you can fit in easier or if it's just bc that's what you find interesting/like.
Be who you want to be and do what you want to do. There’s no harm in being different from everyone else. It sets you apart from them. Variety is the spice of life as they say! We’d be boring if we were all the same.
My advice would be to watch the film - dead poets society, there’s a fantastic scene on conformity in that film. Might even be on YouTube.
I wish i was the same as everyone else. being different is exhausting, i can barely relate to anyone and i wish i did...who said being different was fun??!
Reply 3
i feel like we all want to fit in and be like everyone else at the beginning of anything, because we're scared of being different. but once we're comfortable we seem to change into ourselves and we all distinguish as people. im in year 11 and i always think about it as how my year was in year 7, and how now we've all kinda flourished into our own people. i don't think being the same as everyone else is wrong, i just feel it's a little boring. like, life is too short to be like everyone else. being yourself and being comfortable in your own skin is what comes first.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bluelights999
Be who you want to be and do what you want to do. There’s no harm in being different from everyone else. It sets you apart from them. Variety is the spice of life as they say! We’d be boring if we were all the same.
My advice would be to watch the film - dead poets society, there’s a fantastic scene on conformity in that film. Might even be on YouTube.

It seems quite interesting I will definitely check it out !!
Original post by watershower
I wish i was the same as everyone else. being different is exhausting, i can barely relate to anyone and i wish i did...who said being different was fun??!

Yeah I often feel isolated for having different musical tastes or pastimes from everyone around me and it honestly just makes me sad as I can't share my enthusiasm for it with anyone irl, whilst I see a lot of people sharing their love for more common interests ://.
Original post by koroks
i feel like we all want to fit in and be like everyone else at the beginning of anything, because we're scared of being different. But once we're comfortable we seem to change into ourselves and we all distinguish as people. Im in year 11 and i always think about it as how my year was in year 7, and how now we've all kinda flourished into our own people. I don't think being the same as everyone else is wrong, i just feel it's a little boring. Like, life is too short to be like everyone else. Being yourself and being comfortable in your own skin is what comes first.

yes i totally agree !!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply