fillings in my teeth... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am literally terrified of having more fillings....my teeth are really sensitive to sugar, and although I seem to have the same amount as everyone else, my teeth are really prone to fillings, to the point where I have about 7 tiny holes on a few teeth which are yet to develop into cavities but are close. If I brush enough, they can repair themselves. I had a lot of sugar over xmas and I'm scared that it's too late.

A previous filling that I had put in about 4 months ago feels loose, despite me brushing my teeth every day - I never go to sleep without using mouthwash and brushing.

If I get another filling my parents will be so mad. Do you know anything that can protect my teeth?
ARCDN
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The only case in which your teeth can be more sensitive to sugar, or "prone to fillings" is if you have an enamel deficiency. If this is the case then your dentist should have prescribed you special medication and put measures in place with frequent dental visits and necessary treatment to prevent decay to your undermineralised enamel.

If this is not the case, then you are not sensitive to sugar, and you are not "prone to fillings". You are either having too many acid attacks, or you have poor oral hygiene.

First, let's talk about acid attacks. An acid attack is caused by your teeth coming into contact with sugar. When the sugar reacts with the bacteria on the surface of your teeth, acid is produced as a by-product. This acid attacks your tooth surface and is what causes de-mineralisation of the tooth tissue and holes in your teeth, or tooth decay.

After 1 acid attack, our teeth take about 2 hours to remineralise back to healthy level. Although you might not think your main meals are sugary, most foods contain sugar or things that will later break down to sugar such as carbohydrates. Therefore, each main meal = 1 acid attack. Our teeth can stand up to 4 acid attacks per day before they start to decay. This means that we can have 3 main meals and 1 snack in the day, any more than this and we are exposing ourselves to tooth decay.

After your main meal, you have a 5 minute window where anything sugary that you eat in this window counts as the same acid attack. (Research Stephan's curve). Therefore, if you eat 3 chocolate cake bars and 5 biscuits straight after your lunch as part of your meal, surprisingly it will not do your teeth any further damage than your lunch has done, because it is still only 1 acid attack. It is the snacking in between meals that is the leading cause of tooth decay.

Be careful with what you drink, too. Juices are often labelled as NO ADDED SUGAR. this is misleading, it does not mean SUGAR FREE. So if you are drinking a NO ADDED SUGAR juice, and sipping it in 5 minute intervals, each sip counts as 1 acid attack. This means you could be having up to 25 acid attacks per day or more, when our teeth can only stand 4.
If you must eat sugary snacks, and sugary drinks, do it as part of your main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and evidence suggests it will not damage your teeth further.

Oral hygiene: brush twice per day for 2 minutes using a fluoride toothpaste. Make sure you are brushing all of your tooth surfaces and not just the ones you can see in the mirror. Have you brushed the biting surfaces, and behind your teeth? If you find it hard to reach at the back, then close your mouth half way and your cheek will stretch our further.

Spit the toothpaste out, but do not rinse. This will make sure the fluoride stays on your teeth to give you extra protection throughout the day/night. As for mouthwash, these usually contain less fluoride than toothpaste, so if you use them straight after brushing your teeth, you have just rinsed all of the better fluoride down the drain. Only use mouthwash if it's at a seperate time to brushing (e.g. When you get home from school) otherwise it is pointless.

Be clever about what you eat and when you eat it, and remember, it is not the amount of sugar you eat that does your teeth harm, but the frequency in which it comes into contact with your teeth.
Last edited by ARCDN; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (291)
65.54%
No (153)
34.46%

Watched Threads