The Student Room Group

Birmingham A100 / A101 2020 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pulkitmal2001
You and I are very similar I would like an en-suite, leaning away from meal plan as I’m vegetarian, budget not really a constraint at this point and I’m also unsure of where good accommodation is... want easy commute, good accessibility to shops and restaurants!

Wouldn't mind being flatmates with you then XD
Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by scienceyyy
Wouldn't mind being flatmates with you then XD
Where are you thinking of applying?

I liked Battery Park bc it’s a new, all en-suite, canal-front, near shops but it’s next to Selly Oak Station and I am not sure about the area in terms of safety etc. Looks amazing though!

Also, I considered Chamberlain tower one but heard they don’t have frequent cleaning, lifts often don’t work, and also it’s far from the university station. V unsure because I want lots of natural light and a good standard of living which seems to be hard to get from the pictures...
I liked Battery Park bc it’s a new, all en-suite, canal-front, near shops but it’s next to Selly Oak Station and I am not sure about the area in terms of safety etc. Looks amazing though!

Also, I considered Chamberlain tower one but heard they don’t have frequent cleaning, lifts often don’t work, and also it’s far from the university station. V unsure because I want lots of natural light and a good standard of living which seems to be hard to get from the pictures...

I was considering Battery Park too. I like the facilities there and it's seems nice in general.
I heard Chamberlain is good but it's expensive and I have a flexible budget but I'm not wasting my money. I did like the bedrooms though.
I definitely like Selly Oak Village too because of the shops. And there's a shuttlebus service so I might go with Selly Oak Court but people say that the street it's on is not the safest. I wish we had the chance to go and visit the accommodation.

For some reason, I have a fear though that I'm going to end up with flatmates I don't get along with which is why I'm so wary about my accommodation.
Don’t get too hung up about it. Birmingham ask you to choose 6 and allocate by ballot so you have a one in six chance of getting what you want.
Reply 224
Original post by Simbasoul
Don’t get too hung up about it. Birmingham ask you to choose 6 and allocate by ballot so you have a one in six chance of getting what you want.

Some people I know were actually placed in an accommodation they didn’t apply for!
Even more reason not to get too hung up on it!
Hi, Do we still need to complete the Health and Immunisation forms by 29th May?? And do they send them to us or do we have to print them out ourselves? I emailed admissions already and they didn’t really answer my question😂😂 I’m just so confused😂 Thank you!
Reply 227
Original post by username35787577
Hi, Do we still need to complete the Health and Immunisation forms by 29th May?? And do they send them to us or do we have to print them out ourselves? I emailed admissions already and they didn’t really answer my question😂😂 I’m just so confused😂 Thank you!

You print them out. If you go to the link on your offer, there are PDF versions of the form for you to print. They haven’t said anything about changing the deadline but we should assume they haven’t until they’ve said otherwise.
There’s a live offer holder chat being held now for anyone interested...

https://www.ug.bham.ac.uk/event/medicinelivechat/
Reply 229
Original post by wcmedb
I would say we have roughly 20 contact hours per week. 4/5 hours a week of this are small group teachings where we go over stuff in more detail and some are anatomy sessions. We need to prepare for these and it takes roughly an hour or so. The rest are lectures. Every second Thursday we have placement at GP and on the other Thursdays we do a presentation as part of PAS or professionals and academic skills. Most days we are in 9-5 or round about that time, but there are lots of gaps. I’m terms of self study, there’s the prep for small group or anatomy and then the rest is up to you really. Some people do lots of independent study whereas I managed to get away with relatively little and do well in my January exam, albeit with lots of Christmas. I’d probably recommend going over lecture material ASAP and making sure you know it, then do more if you choose to.

It’s worth noting that every week is different though so nothing is typical

Ok, thank so much for that insight.
With the immunisation forms. Do I need to give them to my GP? And then what happens?
Original post by scienceyyy
With the immunisation forms. Do I need to give them to my GP? And then what happens?

I emailed them over to my Surgery. They said they’ll scan them back completed by a nurse or a doctor in a few weeks.
You and I are very similar I would like an en-suite, leaning away from meal plan as I’m vegetarian, budget not really a constraint at this point and I’m also unsure of where good accommodation is... want easy commute, good accessibility to shops and restaurants!

hey guys! even I am vegetarian and not the best cook around either xd. It would be nice to know you guys! looking for ensuite accomodation also. But i have taken meal plan, as it might be difficult to cook while balancing studies for medicine.
Original post by harveycabrillo
hey guys! even I am vegetarian and not the best cook around either xd. It would be nice to know you guys! looking for ensuite accomodation also. But i have taken meal plan, as it might be difficult to cook while balancing studies for medicine.

Unlikely in the first year. Remember you need to make sure that you don’t focus solely on study - if you plan to get involved with clubs/societies, sometimes cooking for yourself is actually more flexible!
Don't think so - AAB contextual offer is only valid if you firm Birmingham. If it's your insurance choice, the entry requirement would be AAA. I suppose if you got an AAB and have Birmingham as your insurance, it will be to the university's discretion as to whether they accept you or not, but the official entry requirement in this instance would be AAA.
Hi I have a question about the student selected components. Is there much variety in the student selected components of the course? and how many do you get?Thanks
Original post by a-aron
Hey, I'm a current third year so hopefully I can offer some insight into this.

I was in the same position as you when I started out. Looking back, I really don't think that even doing dissection would have made a difference. The first thing I truly appreciated prosection for was when you're trying to learn the massive amounts of anatomy, it really really helped to have someone who knew what they were doing lay it out for you. I honestly would not have known what I was looking for if I was doing the dissection myself.

Another thing is that you're really focused so much more on learning the anatomy rather than the surgery part itself. Dissection also really isn't surgery at all - all you're really doing is opening up the body and trying to pick specific organs/structures out. It has really very little to do with real surgery - you might as well practice on a whole chicken with surgical tools.

Another point I'd make is that at the point when you actually apply for surgery jobs, that is a minimum of 2 years after medical school. At that point, no one even looks at the university you went to, let alone if they did dissection or prosection. What they look more for is your surgical experience in your clinical years/foundation doctor years, and Birmingham is a really really great place to gain experience. Birmingham has far many hospitals that it is affiliated with compared to other medical schools, and of them many of them are huge centres for surgery (i.e. the Queen Elizabeth, Royal Wolverhampton, Royal Orthopaedic, Heartlands, etc), so you'll get tons of experience in surgery if you do come here!

Hi I have a question about the student selected components. Is there much variety in the student selected components of the course? and how many do you get?Thanks
Reply 237
@a-aron, @wcmedb and any other current Birmingham med students-how's the student support system like. Do you have a medic family? Thanks!
Reply 238
Original post by sedwardscc3

Hey! So there isn't much in the way of SSC's in first year, but in second year SSC's begin to play a larger role. The way Bham does SSC's is that every year there is a project to complete. The project spans across most of the year, so it's a pretty big deal. In second year, you write a literature review on a topic of your choice. The medical school provides a list of topics that you can choose from, but the list is so extensive (and there is so much variety within each topic) that it's not hard to find a topic that you are interested in. In third year, the SSC is a group project, and you essentially write a literature review (approximately 4k words) on any topic of choice. In fourth year, you perform an audit (again this is a topic of your choice). At the end of fourth year you also go on elective, and since this can be anywhere in the world in any specialty, you again have lots of freedom. You do have to do a project during your elective, but it's really minor.

Overall there are opportunities for SSC's, but I wouldn't say that it is a significant part of the course. The projects themselves are quite important (you can't pass the year if you fail the projects), but I would say that due to all the guidance/rules around the projects it does limit the amount of freedom you have in choosing/developing your topics. Hope that helps!
Reply 239
Original post by A_J_B
@a-aron, @wcmedb and any other current Birmingham med students-how's the student support system like. Do you have a medic family? Thanks!

Hey! From the student side, the student support system is quite variable - it really depends on who is in your 'medic family'. The way that it is arranged is that a medic family is comprised of 2-3 students from every year (so total of 10-15 students total). The idea is that the years above can provide younger years with support/guidance since they've been through the same thing. First years even get given tours by their medic family during induction week!

It can be a really great resource (especially for passing down notes, exam help/tips, advice), and for the most part the medic families are great and lots of fun. You have your 'parents', 'siblings', 'grand-parents', etc. However, it really does depend on who is in your family and the amount of commitment they give. Some people are really proactive and helpful, and some really don't care too much. It's kind of just luck of the draw on who you get, but even if you end up with a poor family then there are always people who get 'adopted' by other families, so it works out well!

Otherwise from the medical school side, I'd say that the medical school does a decent job with student support - it's not the best, but it definitely could be worse. You generally can access help if needed, and they generally do assist you, but not all of the time unfortunately. Sometimes they are just really really slow at doing anything, which isn't the best if you do need help urgently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending