Laycity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by madz16)
I agree it is slightly crafty. Loved Bham on open days etc but part of the extra draw for me was an AAB offer, never mentioned it had to be a firm choice for that... Do you think they'd make any exceptions on results day eg. if I put them as an insurance choice, got AAB and then called up? I'm just trying to prepare for every scenario!
You’d expect them to be more lenient with people who firm them. There are not many medical schools who allow people to miss their insurance offer so I doubt it. It will depend on who else miss their offers who have firmed and whether they have enough people. They won’t want to go into clearing. There would be no point ringing up in the situation you described though.
I think it would have been a lot of contextual applicant's natural insurance choice with AAB but now they seem to have thrown a spanner in the works!
Last edited by Laycity; 2 months ago
Thomsontwins
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm waiting on mine to update with the offer grades also contextual so assuming it will be AAB reading the other posts, however, I do 4 A Levels so not sure what the offer will be? Anyone else who has had their grade offer updated taking 4 A Levels?
agk112
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Thomsontwins)
I'm waiting on mine to update with the offer grades also contextual so assuming it will be AAB reading the other posts, however, I do 4 A Levels so not sure what the offer will be? Anyone else who has had their grade offer updated taking 4 A Levels?
I do further maths as a 4th A level and my offer is still AAA - A in bio, A in chem and then A in either maths or further
6 God
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by a-aron)
Hey, I'm a current third year so hopefully I can offer some insight into this.

I was in the same position as you when I started out. Looking back, I really don't think that even doing dissection would have made a difference. The first thing I truly appreciated prosection for was when you're trying to learn the massive amounts of anatomy, it really really helped to have someone who knew what they were doing lay it out for you. I honestly would not have known what I was looking for if I was doing the dissection myself.

Another thing is that you're really focused so much more on learning the anatomy rather than the surgery part itself. Dissection also really isn't surgery at all - all you're really doing is opening up the body and trying to pick specific organs/structures out. It has really very little to do with real surgery - you might as well practice on a whole chicken with surgical tools.

Another point I'd make is that at the point when you actually apply for surgery jobs, that is a minimum of 2 years after medical school. At that point, no one even looks at the university you went to, let alone if they did dissection or prosection. What they look more for is your surgical experience in your clinical years/foundation doctor years, and Birmingham is a really really great place to gain experience. Birmingham has far many hospitals that it is affiliated with compared to other medical schools, and of them many of them are huge centres for surgery (i.e. the Queen Elizabeth, Royal Wolverhampton, Royal Orthopaedic, Heartlands, etc), so you'll get tons of experience in surgery if you do come here!
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply, an opinion from an actual medical student is always helpful and nice to know you faced the same dilemma. Yeah I understand, tbh I was just thinking that maybe dissection would help me appreciate like the 3D structure and spatial arrangement which are skills that would really help for surgery, do you feel this is the case?
Yeah the hospitals look amazing for experience and placement etc. How would you rate the university overall? What are the best things about it? And is there anything you wish you knew before you applied or accepted their offer?
Thanks!
Thomsontwins
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by agk112)
I do further maths as a 4th A level and my offer is still AAA - A in bio, A in chem and then A in either maths or further
That's great thanks.
a-aron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 6 God)
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply, an opinion from an actual medical student is always helpful and nice to know you faced the same dilemma. Yeah I understand, tbh I was just thinking that maybe dissection would help me appreciate like the 3D structure and spatial arrangement which are skills that would really help for surgery, do you feel this is the case?
Yeah the hospitals look amazing for experience and placement etc. How would you rate the university overall? What are the best things about it? And is there anything you wish you knew before you applied or accepted their offer?
Thanks!
No not really - I think either way you'll appreciate the 3d structure, but I just found prosection to be of more use because then I knew exactly where things were supposed to be (as opposed to me trying to figure it out as you go along during dissection). If anything though, the med school has a really amazing interactive table that has a virtual body in 3d that is available to use, and there are some really great apps as well that do a fantastic job.

Overall I'd say Bham is really good - lots of early contact with patients. I'm definitely really enjoying it. However, a few negatives are that Bham does tend to have lots of 'busywork' thrown in that most people really see no need for, and seems just in the course as a way for Bham to make us work harder. Another thing is that Bham is really heavily lecture based so if that method of learning doesn't work for you then you will struggle during the pre-clinical years. Other than that though, overall I rate it really highly and would definitely recommend!
ceza56
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi all, where has everyone applied for accommodation?
Pulkitmal2001
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ceza56)
Hi all, where has everyone applied for accommodation?
Can you already apply or do you have to firm them??
ceza56
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Pulkitmal2001)
Can you already apply or do you have to firm them??
I’ve already applied but that’s bc I’ve took a gap year and firmed it, I’m not sure if you do have to firm it before you can apply tbh
username5138376
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anyone else still not had Track updated after receiving an offer a couple of weeks ago? I'm probably worrying for nothing but I just wanted to check that I wasn't the only one...
Thomsontwins
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lily186)
Anyone else still not had Track updated after receiving an offer a couple of weeks ago? I'm probably worrying for nothing but I just wanted to check that I wasn't the only one...
Has your track updated yet? I'm still waiting lol.
username5138376
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Thomsontwins)
Has your track updated yet? I'm still waiting lol.
No mine hasn’t, glad I’m not the only one haha
Thomsontwins
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lily186)
No mine hasn’t, glad I’m not the only one haha
Hopefully it will be this week 🤞
StudyGCSErev
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mayhas)
I’m a bit confused about my offer because it comes up on track as AAA but also AAB so does it mean I’ve received the contextual offer?
Yeah, that means you’ve received the contextual offer
mayhas
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by StudyGCSErev)
Yeah, that means you’ve received the contextual offer
I thought so and I've reread it about 5 times and got my tutor to read it and nowhere does it mention firming birmingham like others on here have mentioned
Laycity
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mayhas)
I thought so and I've reread it about 5 times and got my tutor to read it and nowhere does it mention firming birmingham like others on here have mentioned
So your track doesn’t look like this? It’s in the last paragraph?
Attached files
mayhas
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Laycity)
So your track doesn’t look like this? It’s in the last paragraph?
No it doesn’t mention that I’ve met contextual criteria either (even though I do)
finlay0101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone know when the offer holders day might be? The email says towards end of feb but not the exact day
Pulkitmal2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by finlay0101)
Does anyone know when the offer holders day might be? The email says towards end of feb but not the exact day
I emailed and they said it’s most likely going to be in March. Don’t know exact dates yet. I think they perhaps meant that they will send out the invitations end of Feb?
finlay0101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pulkitmal2001)
I emailed and they said it’s most likely going to be in March. Don’t know exact dates yet. I think they perhaps meant that they will send out the invitations end of Feb?
Ah okay thanks mate that makes sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads