The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Is it even worth applying?

Hey guys so I had a look at some graduate schemes within further education and I came across too schemes offered by imperial college which pay very well and look great but I had a look at the statistics and I’m really questioning whether it is worth my while applying.

The management trainee programme at imperial had 700 applicants last year with 5-6 spaces being offered.

The finance graduate programme at imperial had 250 applicants with 1-2 spaces being offered.

When you work out the chances of being successful I really question whether it’s worth the time putting in an application...

Any thoughts ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys so I had a look at some graduate schemes within further education and I came across too schemes offered by imperial college which pay very well and look great but I had a look at the statistics and I’m really questioning whether it is worth my while applying.

The management trainee programme at imperial had 700 applicants last year with 5-6 spaces being offered.

The finance graduate programme at imperial had 250 applicants with 1-2 spaces being offered.

When you work out the chances of being successful I really question whether it’s worth the time putting in an application...

Any thoughts ?

It really depends on your previous qualifications and skill set. Clearly "someone" is being awarded these positions, but as you say from the stats they must be pretty special to stand out. So time for a bit of self reflection, are you in the top few of your year group, have you got some extra awards, Deans list etc, have you published anything, done a notable activity outside of university ? These are the things they are going to be looking for. Chances of a place when not applying are of course zero so up to you if you want to give it a go.
(edited 4 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Anonymous

Any thoughts ?

If you are well qualified and want the job, then apply, just be aware rejection is likely (but if you really want it, applying is the only way). Maybe have a look at previous successful applicants (on linkedIn) to see if your resume stacks up. i imagine lots of the successful applicants will be Imperial grads tho...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending