The Student Room Group

Differentiation A’s help plz

22c) how?
And 24) how do I work out what the gradient function is3B1AC532-0E37-4196-8F6B-8595FAD7506C.jpeg
Hi, Have you uploaded a picture of your questions or a screenshot?
Reply 2
Original post by The Pensive One
Hi, Have you uploaded a picture of your questions or a screenshot?

Ya forgot to do that silly me
Reply 3
22c) You want to find the minimum of OP^2. This is a disguised quadratic, so just find the minimum value of it Most of the work has been done in a) and b).

24) Sketch the gradient. Where is the gradient zero (tangent is flat). Where is the gradient postive (functions goes upwards)? Where is the gradient negative (function goes down)? Where are the largest postive and negative gradients (where does the function change rapidly).
Hey (its a bit late sorry)
for 22c) i would find the second derivative of the given f(x), and then equal to zero, find the values of x which satisfy this equation. Then substitute back into f(x) to find the corresponding values of f(x), you then substitute the values of 'x' back into the second derivative, if the second derivative is greater than zero, then you have a minimum point. Together with the value of f(x) you have a minima (minimum point)
(i think finding the distance between this minima and the origin would then give you the minimum distance).

for 24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz_reJgi_Rg (i think this is an excellent video :wink:)

(let me know if seeing a calculation is easier)
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
22c) You want to find the minimum of OP^2. This is a disguised quadratic, so just find the minimum value of it Most of the work has been done in a) and b).

24) Sketch the gradient. Where is the gradient zero (tangent is flat). Where is the gradient postive (functions goes upwards)? Where is the gradient negative (function goes down)? Where are the largest postive and negative gradients (where does the function change rapidly).

Ok, then how do I find the points where it crosses the axis
Reply 6
Original post by sunflower69
Ok, then how do I find the points where it crosses the axis

The graduent crosses the axis when it is zero (local tangent is flat)
They've already msrked important points on the graph for you.

Quick Reply

Latest