Can I go from combined science to triple science if I do well in my year 10 mocks ?

Watch
Chumter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve always been really good a science but in lower set . I’m currently in year 10
I’m hoping to get 2 8’s
Any advice or tips on how to get there ? I have individual CGP books on bio chem and physics .

Will they even be able to make me do triple as I am in A3 and people in A1 do triple ?
Last edited by Chumter; 1 year ago
Nadine8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
short answer: yes!

the set systems are set by your school, in my school we had a set change end of year 10 and then it was difficult to move around in year 11 but i know people who did so don’t worry too much. Even if you end up in a lower set doing combined your still allowed to sit the triple exam as long as your teachers believe you’ll be able to achieve good grades!
My advice, revise good enough to do amazing on your mocks and tell your teachers you want to move up. If they think you can do it they’ll move you
Chumter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nadine8)
short answer: yes!

the set systems are set by your school, in my school we had a set change end of year 10 and then it was difficult to move around in year 11 but i know people who did so don’t worry too much. Even if you end up in a lower set doing combined your still allowed to sit the triple exam as long as your teachers believe you’ll be able to achieve good grades!
My advice, revise good enough to do amazing on your mocks and tell your teachers you want to move up. if they think you can do it they’ll move you
Should I start revising now ? My mocks are in June
Plus are the mocks for every subject or for only maths English science ?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Chumter; 1 year ago
Nadine8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chumter)
Should I start revising now ? My mocks are in June
Plus are the mocks for every subject or for only maths English science ?

Thanks in advance
if you feel like you should, then yeah. The earlier you start the easier it will be. But you don’t have to go into full revision, maybe find a past paper or some exam style questions from whatever board you do online and just go through some of those or keep revising from the CGP books, just anything you feel will help. See what you get wrong and go through those topics, if you need any more help on how to revise feel free to ask!!
And i’m not sure but i think they were only for maths science and English although i would check with your teachers. Have you not been told/given a seat for each exam? Or are they classroom mocks?
Chumter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nadine8)
if you feel like you should, then yeah. The earlier you start the easier it will be. But you don’t have to go into full revision, maybe find a past paper or some exam style questions from whatever board you do online and just go through some of those or keep revising from the CGP books, just anything you feel will help. See what you get wrong and go through those topics, if you need any more help on how to revise feel free to ask!!
And i’m not sure but i think they were only for maths science and English although i would check with your teachers. Have you not been told/given a seat for each exam? Or are they classroom mocks?
Hi just checked with my teachers and we are doing all subjects .
I asked my cousin who got all 8’s in his mock and he said doing practice Q’s are priority in some subjects

But I need a some more help to do more effiecient revision rather than excessive and unnecessary work and I don’t remember as much.

Do you have any tips ?
Nadine8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi just checked with my teachers and we are doing all subjects .
I asked my cousin who got all 8’s in his mock and he said doing practice Q’s are priority in some subjects

But I need a some more help to do more effiecient revision rather than excessive and unnecessary work and I don’t remember as much.

Do you have any tips ?
By practice questions do you mean past papers? Honestly i think they are the best way to revise as you can see what you got wrong and what you didn’t know after going through the mark scheme and re visit those topics.
Flash cards can be very useful and aren’t effort to prepare, so like for Science after re visiting a topic make simple flash cards with the question on one side and the answer on the other. Getting your family/friends to test you on these is very helpful. You can buy some CGP revision work books that come with questions in them for each topic you want to work through, and this can be helpful too, but you don’t have to buy anything to do well. There’s plenty of resources online that you can use

So in short my tips are Past papers and Flashcards, but the way you revise and remember things might be different and they might not work that well. But it’s a start!
Chumter
Rep:
?
I have the student CGP books they are much thicker than the usual ones . I’ll just make some flashcards for mostly science . Also what grade should I get the work books at ?
Some are 8-9
Or 7-8

Should I get 7-8 as if I choose 8-9 I’ll be missing some of the less complex questions ?
Nadine8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have the student CGP books they are much thicker than the usual ones . I’ll just make some flashcards for mostly science . Also what grade should I get the work books at ?
Some are 8-9
Or 7-8

Should I get 7-8 as if I choose 8-9 I’ll be missing some of the less complex questions ?
hmmm i’m not sure, i guess it depends what grade your hoping for. I think the 8-9 ones will come with a variety though, and i think if you want two 8’s it’s best to get the 8-9 as the lower grade content would be sort of included within that. But if you want to get the 7-8 do that, i’m sure there isn’t that much of a difference anyways
Chumter
Rep:
?
I’ll just get the 8-9 work books. I want the higher grades
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads