The Student Room Group

Considering BTEC along with degree

Hi,

I'm studying for a full time degree, currently I'm in year 2 and lately I have been contemplating to start a BTEC in computing from September this year along with my 3rd year of the uni as there will be only 6 (yes Six) hours only of total lecture time. I have got certificate of higher education prior to starting my degree, which is worth 60 credits. On the basis of this qualification I was given place to study my current degree programme, but I feel that I will be at disadvantage after graduating for not having traditional 3 A Levels or an Extended BTEC diploma like most other students. I have looked into two local colleges who are offering both BTEC and A levels on full time basis, and at the moment I'm leaning towards a BTEC extended diploma which lasts two years, but it is available on full time basis only while A levels can be studied part time.

I am not sure if I should go for A -levels as I am under this impression that they are needed to get into Uni only, but they are of course needed for a lot of graduate schemes as well. I like BTEC extended diploma in computing more as it will be relevant to my cyber security degree which I am studying at the moment, but then again I'm not sure if I should even consider doing a BTEC especially after a degree in Cyber security.

It's a very strange situation and I really regret not having the traditional A Levels or a BTEC like other students. I studied for a Certificate of Higher education in Business and management studies back in 2015, when I should have gone for the normal college qualifications. At that time I just wanted to quickly get into University and get a degree, but now I am feeling that I made a major mistake by taking that certificate course, which is merely a level 4 (60 credits) qualification and equivalent to the first half year of the degree.

I just don't know what to do in this situation.
It is pointless to waste your time studying a full time level 3 qualification alongside second year of your degree (level 5). If you only have 6 hours lectures then that means you’re expected to spend 24 hours a week in independent study for your degree.

If you have free time then get work. Relevant work experience is far more important for finding work in the IT sector after graduation than your level 3 qualifications.
Original post by PQ
It is pointless to waste your time studying a full time level 3 qualification alongside second year of your degree (level 5). If you only have 6 hours lectures then that means you’re expected to spend 24 hours a week in independent study for your degree.

If you have free time then get work. Relevant work experience is far more important for finding work in the IT sector after graduation than your level 3 qualifications.

Thanks for replying, I was considering to do that level 3 course in September this year when I start my 3rd year of uni when it will be only 6 hours of lecture time, but I think I would postpone this level 3 qualification till I graduate and apply for jobs to see how it goes. I'm studying for 4 certifications at the moment along with my current year 2 of degree, one certification is part of the university course which uni will be paying to sit exam in may while I paid for the other 3 myself and studying them to have a few relevant certifications when I graduate.

For work experience, I asked couple of people who are at managerial positions in an organisation, but they just never replied back and I just felt like they weren't interested to help. One of the managers is my work manager where I work part time (public sector large organisation) at the moment who asked me few months back if I was interested to work in cyber security then she could ask one of the managers in the cyber security department of the organisation, but despite of reminding her on 4 occasions she's just not bothered to reply my emails or looks willing to help in this regard at all which is very strange.

I contacted the head of the department for work experience, explained everything in detail, but again he just never replied back so now I have just stopped looking into work experience completely till I graduate. It feels like no one is willing to help at all for some reason and I feel as if it's all about who you know. Just feel down and don't even feel like applying for any positions as whenever I apply I always get the typical warm regards reply, and I strongly feel that its due to the fact that I don't have the relevant level 3 qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending