lmao162
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m in year 12 and I chose sociology, french and english lang however I’ve now realised that I want to study psychology at uni. I now regret not choosing psychology and feel as though I’ll be disadvantaged not only because of this but also because I don’t have any science related subjects which unis tend to ask for when applying for the course. I just don’t know what to do because I don’t feel like I’m doing the subjects that will help me for the future :////
Aurano
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you have a true passion in psychology then you can probably pursuade a university to accept you anyway if your grades are decent. Sometimes a university is looking for potential and conscientiousness in a candidate. You should email a few universities where you wish to study psychology and see what they say. If you don't ask you don't get.
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lmao162)
I’m in year 12 and I chose sociology, french and english lang however I’ve now realised that I want to study psychology at uni. I now regret not choosing psychology and feel as though I’ll be disadvantaged not only because of this but also because I don’t have any science related subjects which unis tend to ask for when applying for the course. I just don’t know what to do because I don’t feel like I’m doing the subjects that will help me for the future :////
If you chose those subjects for a reason, because you like them and are good at them, then I feel being predicted e.g. three As in those subjects is better than being predicted e.g. three Cs in Science subjects that you may enjoy less.

My advice would be perhaps to pick up Maths AS if your school will let you. An EPQ in a Psychology related topic could be another good addition to your personal statement, as would any relevant further reading or lectures. At this point there isn’t a huge amount you can do - unless you want to retake the year, I think it is too late to completely change subjects at this point. So yes - I’d advise taking up Maths AS and doing lots of Psychology related supercurriculars, then you’ll just have to think about your realistic Uni choices carefully. Although, it is worth trying to speak to a teacher or careers advisor at your school to see if anything else could be done.

Only other thing I’d consider is, with the subjects you’re currently taking, a Psychology degree seems quite different in terms of skill sets (as although sociology may have some links, I’d reckon a Psychology degree has a fair bit of biology and maths). I’d advise you to keep researching into different degree courses on offer just to double check that Psychology is truly what you want to do, what you’ll enjoy and what will suit your skill set best.

Good luck with everything!
lmao162
Rep:
?
The thing is I’m not that great at maths and I don’t love it either, i got a 6 at gcse so I would say I can manage maths to a certain degree but I don’t think i could do it at AS. Also, the deadline to do an epq at my school has already gone. I will do some further research into psychology but I’m pretty sure I want to do it and i can’t think of anything else I would be interested in. Surely it would be possible to get on to the course with my current A-levels as long as I do extra research or would it not possible with my A-levels?
(Original post by Mona123456)
If you chose those subjects for a reason, because you like them and are good at them, then I feel being predicted e.g. three As in those subjects is better than being predicted e.g. three Cs in Science subjects that you may enjoy less.

My advice would be perhaps to pick up Maths AS if your school will let you. An EPQ in a Psychology related topic could be another good addition to your personal statement, as would any relevant further reading or lectures. At this point there isn’t a huge amount you can do - unless you want to retake the year, I think it is too late to completely change subjects at this point. So yes - I’d advise taking up Maths AS and doing lots of Psychology related supercurriculars, then you’ll just have to think about your realistic Uni choices carefully. Although, it is worth trying to speak to a teacher or careers advisor at your school to see if anything else could be done.

Only other thing I’d consider is, with the subjects you’re currently taking, a Psychology degree seems quite different in terms of skill sets (as although sociology may have some links, I’d reckon a Psychology degree has a fair bit of biology and maths). I’d advise you to keep researching into different degree courses on offer just to double check that Psychology is truly what you want to do, what you’ll enjoy and what will suit your skill set best.

Good luck with everything!
123tina
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly A Level Psychology isn't that difficult. Our class started the AS syllabus in August and finished by early December and I ended up with an high A at AS. If you work hard starting now, you can take the AS and A2 component all together in Year 13 and end up with a good grade
123tina
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The thing is I’m not that great at maths and I don’t love it either, i got a 6 at gcse so I would say I can manage maths to a certain degree but I don’t think i could do it at AS. Also, the deadline to do an epq at my school has already gone. I will do some further research into psychology but I’m pretty sure I want to do it and i can’t think of anything else I would be interested in. Surely it would be possible to get on to the course with my current A-levels as long as I do extra research or would it not possible with my A-levels?
Don't worry, I got a 4 for GCSE math and still took Psychology A Level. There is no math whatsoever in the AS or A2 components. At university, you'll be introduced to basic statistics and maths but I'm sure you will cope fine.
Mona123456
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it would be possible, but you’ll need to search specific Uni courses as some will have particular requirements, like asking for Maths or Science A Levels, which you don’t have. It’s still worth emailing admissions though if you find a course you love but your A Levels aren’t suitable. I’d recommend thinking about which Unis you’re aiming for and checking with a careers advisor at school, to see if there are any other things you can do to make your application more competitive. Reading around the subject is almost compulsory and goes without saying really. But if you have a great personal statement and strong predicted grades, and if you pick your Uni choices carefully, I’m sure there are some courses you’ll still be eligible to apply for. Good luck!
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably the best thing would be to restart year 12 next year taking the correct subjects. Check out Psychology courses at the universities you are thinking about and see whether there are specific subjects. A mix of Biology, Psychology and Sociology would appear a good choice. An alternative would be to take a foundation year but that would be costly. Many people restart year 12 when they realise they have taken the wrong subjects
lmao162
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mona123456)
I think it would be possible, but you’ll need to search specific Uni courses as some will have particular requirements, like asking for Maths or Science A Levels, which you don’t have. It’s still worth emailing admissions though if you find a course you love but your A Levels aren’t suitable. I’d recommend thinking about which Unis you’re aiming for and checking with a careers advisor at school, to see if there are any other things you can do to make your application more competitive. Reading around the subject is almost compulsory and goes without saying really. But if you have a great personal statement and strong predicted grades, and if you pick your Uni choices carefully, I’m sure there are some courses you’ll still be eligible to apply for. Good luck!
Thank you for help, ngl it is stressing me out quite a bit but hopefully it should be fine
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for help, ngl it is stressing me out quite a bit but hopefully it should be fine
To be honest it depends on what university you're thinking of attending. Some universities require you take a science a level and some do not, so if you do decide to carry on with the A levels you have chosen that's fine, it's just a matter of you searching and looking at the uni entry requirements, there are some universities that don't require a science a level (Sunderland, NTU, Plymouth).
Last edited by yotsr123; 4 weeks ago
lmao162
Rep:
?
(Original post by yotsr123)
To be honest it depends on what university you're thinking of attending. Some universities require you take a science a level and some do not, so if you do decide to carry on with the A levels you have chosen that's fine, it's just a matter of you searching and looking at the uni entry requirements, there are some universities that don't require a science a level (Sunderland, NTU, Plymouth).
Ok, that’s definitely reassuring. I looked at the requirements for Sheffield and they ask for one science subject but i know someone who’s studying psychology there and did psychology, history and english lit at a-level. Does psychology count as a science or will they just accept you as long as you get good grades and have a good personal statement?
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok, that’s definitely reassuring. I looked at the requirements for Sheffield and they ask for one science subject but i know someone who’s studying psychology there and did psychology, history and english lit at a-level. Does psychology count as a science or will they just accept you as long as you get good grades and have a good personal statement?
Yes, that's because Sheffield accepts Psychology as a science.
I would say yes, most universities will accept psychology as a science.
Psychology is a very competitive course so they will definitely not be budging on entry requirements! If they state that they need certain subjects in order to be considered for the course then you will need those subjects.
Cayenne_sin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know half the year is almost over, but you could ask if the school is willing to change your subject (I hope they do).
Psych. is not that hard...you'll just have to learn a lot of researchers and be good at essay writing. But you'll need to put a great deal of effort into it.
3 topics in the AS syllabus should have been completed by now (at least that's where my schools at). so yeah~
ella1902
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on the uni, some like Edinburgh, require you to take a science or maths but some unis don’t have any specific entry requirements. Look into the different unis and what they require.
Entry requirements according to ucas “A levels – While you don't need to have all three sciences at A level for a psychology degree, most universities prefer at least one out of chemistry, physics, biology, or maths. Overall, a combination of good, academic A level subjects is required.”
From a quick google bath and Sheffield are both possibilities
Last edited by ella1902; 4 weeks ago
lmao162
Rep:
?
But doesn’t Sheffield require a science? :/
123tina
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But doesn’t Sheffield require a science? :/
Yeah and psychology is accepted as a science at Sheffileld.
EpicLettie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you could potentially learn psych outside of the school setting and either see if the school would let you sit the exam or if they won’t (which ngl- they probably won’t) you can find an external examination centre and sit the psychology a level there. i have a friend who did this for a fourth a level- just studied the subject in her own time, got help from the students taking it where she could, and then sat it externally (i think at a local college but i don’t remember for sure- it’s been a few years now). it might now work but it’s definitely worth looking into!!alternatively i really regretted my a level choices first year, and in my a2 year ended up dropping maths and swapping it for business studies and just learning the whole a level in one year. it took a lot of convincing of my tutors that i could do it but i did and ended up with a decent grade!! so it’s an option.my main advice would be if your not happy with your choices, don’t stay stuck in them- definitely start making moves to change where your at and move yourself into the position you want to be in. best of luck!! <3
Lolarichards2k17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in a similar position to you- I chose a levels that I don’t like as much as I’d hoped and have chosen something else. I personally have applied for a place in college to do the course I wanna do instead. It means repeating yr12 but that’s something I’m ok with cos it’s something I’ve found a real passion for. Obviously you may not want to repeat, I know it’s the one thing that almost deterred me from applying. But if you’re serious about doing psychology, talk to your head of year about your options and mention this and see if they think it’s a good idea?
Hope this helps you, good luck
Switch01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And this is why I think making 16 year olds choose their future with 3 subjects is kind of stupid. Whereas with IB, Or the American system, you have much more flexibility. How on earth is someone meant to know whether or not they want to do something before doing it?
naomi_lilian
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Remember that alot of the application process is also about your personal statement. If you show passion and interest for psychology in that eg: been to seminars, read books, watched documentarys etc you should be fine.
I'm currently studying architecture and didn't take art or maths at A-level. Turned out alright for me!
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. If you show enthusiasm for the course you want to study you can do anything. Worse case scenario you have to restart year 12 with one subject whilst studying for year 13 in your other subjects. It will only set you back a year which is nothing when it comes to uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads