The Student Room Group

Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan?

Whose stock is currently higher?

Peter Jackson: multiple Oscar winner, owns his own world-renowned FX company and production company, meaning he can make movies independently. Has the respect of existing Hollywood giants such as James Cameron and George Lucas (with whom he shares technology), and Steven Spielberg (with whom he will direct a series of CGI Tin Tin movies in what some fans have labelled as "the dream team"). He also commanded the highest salary ever paid to a director ($20m aginst 20% of the worldwide gross). Oh, and he directed a few films called Lord of the Rings, or something. :confused:

Christopher Nolan, all of his films are masterpieces, strongly dislikes SFX in movies, has successfully reinvented the Batman franchise, TDK will become the 4th movie to gross over $1b at the box office, he could be the new King of Hollywood in the immediate aftermath. He will command a salary similar to Peter Jackson's record if Warner Brothers want him to direct Batman 3. Has the world at his feet at the moment, and has a lot of professional recognition in the industry.

So, if we exclude ALL other directors for a moment, who would you class as the new potential King of Hollywood?

Me personally, I would still pander to Peter Jackson. Weta Digital and Weta Workshop are arguably the finest in their respective industries, whilst LOTR are my favourite films of all-time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nolan.

Films I like by Nolan:

Films I like by Jackson:

The ones in bold are the ones that truly done it for me :wink: Therefore, Nolan destroys Jackson 3-1.
No-one else has an opinion?
In terms of huge movies, James Cameron trumps both of these...easily. His influence has/will last much longer. I look forward to Avatar next year.
nolan kicks jacksons ass.

Jackson is over-rated, famous for making 3 films about walking. Pish.
I may be biased because Nolan went to UCL :p: But I think, from what I've seen, he's the better director.

Jackson's films have all been decent but I've had major gripes about all of them. King Kong... I nearly finished my degree before that movie finally ended! Also with Lord of the Rings he did have some help by having the whole story meticulousy planned out for him, and I still think he could have adapted it better. But again, still good movies.

I find it more difficult to criticise Nolan's films, although the first hour of Batman Begins was a bit tedious after a while. But after that it was awesome! I also really enjoyed The Prestige. Can't wait for the Dark Knight tonight :biggrin:
Reply 6
TheLegendIsHere
nolan kicks jacksons ass.

Jackson is over-rated, famous for making 3 films about walking. Pish.

:biggrin: you cant lotr bash around these parts, you get neg repped for it
Reply 7
Nolan > Jackson IMO.

Jackson is very competent behind the camera, but I wasn't overly enthralled by the LOTR series (except for ROTK). I think he works better as a "cult" director, because I ****ing loved Braindead, which is also one of the goriest films of all time. That said, I did enjoy the overly-verbose King Kong. Jackson knows how to work well with effects, although not always sparingly, as the awful dinosaur stampede scene in King Kong shows.

Nolan hasn't made a single film less than stellar:

Following = a fantastic debut. Not seen by many but it was ****ing brilliant for what was essentially a student film. Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins and The Prestige all dazzled me in their owns ways. Nolan is also sparing with effects yet he has kept me enthralled and glued to the screen in every film he has made.

Jackson is more recognisably the auteur in a classical sense, although Nolan makes films that interest me more. Nolan's main problem is his editing - some of fight/chase scenes in Batman Begins were horrifically edited, made worse by the NTSC-to-PAL 4% speed conversion when released on DVD over here.
I'm coming down on the side of Jackson. I think the LOTR movies were amazingly adapted, well directed and he's stupidly good at SFX. Wasn't much for King Kong but I wasn't much for the earlier versions either. What I did like about it was the look, which was all Jackson.

I like Momento. Haven't seen The Prestige. Nearly fell asleep in Batman Begins tbh. Thought it was boring as all hell. Saw The Dark Knight last night which was a hell of a lot better, but for me personally that had more to do with Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart than Nolan's direction. They were both acting circles around Christian Bale and I think they would have done that regardless of who directed them. I also thought it was longer than it needed to be. I honestly thought it had finished half an hour before it did.

So yeah Jackson. I can think of a lot of directors that I'd pick over both of them but out of the two I'm picking Jackson.
Nolan.

hes the king of suspense and, imo, he makes more thrilling films.

jackson is pretty cool, too, though. anyone seen heavenly creatures?
of course the LOTR films were great feats too, beautifully shot, well put together.

i just tend to find myself going back to watch Nolan's films again and again more than Jackson's.
If you watch Memento you will notice this thread isn't needed.

End of.

(And Nolan's British)
Reply 11
I consider them both boring and mediocre, frankly. They each have a good film (Nolan maybe has two) between them, and they each have a dizzyingly overrated film series between them.

Nolan is probably the most likely to dominate Hollywood, though. His name is everywhere at the minute and the Batman junk, for reasons I am unable to comprehend, has given him superstar status. He also has the advantage of being able to write (occasionally good) screenplays with the help of his brother, while the same most certainly cannot be said of Jackson.
Boring and mediocre?

Memento, The Prestige, Insomnia, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight boring and mediocre?

Such epic wrongness is not welcome.
jeez this isnt even a question - all 3 lotr were not even half as good as memento - i think that answers your question.
Jackson. Just cause of LOTR.
Marlowe

Nolan is probably the most likely to dominate Hollywood, though. His name is everywhere at the minute and the Batman junk, for reasons I am unable to comprehend, has given him superstar status. He also has the advantage of being able to write (occasionally good) screenplays with the help of his brother, while the same most certainly cannot be said of Jackson.

But Jackson has his own world class SFX studio and independent production company. Surely that means he is more likely to dominate Hollywood than Nolan, who some might say is nothing more than a studio wh0re, just traipsing around until someone agrees to let him film his own screenplay.

Jackson is also a screenwriter, a producer, an executive producer, and an Oscar-winning director. Such feats are seemingly forgotten or ignored on this thread.

Jackson's Wingnut Films company purchased the film rights to Alice Seabold's The Lovely Bones novel (as well as film rights to Noami Novik's Temeraire series), and it was adapted to a screenplay before he sold it to the highest-bidding studio (DreamWorks). DreamWorks then financed the production, and will no doubt give Wingnut Films a small share of the box office gross. Although a relatively small share, this will still recoup the money Wingnut paid Alice Seabold for the film rights, and make a large profit for them too.

This is how successful 'players' operate, and Nolan has no such strategy in place as of yet. His Batman films were merely franchises of Time Warner, and he was hired to give Time Warner more money.

So who would you rather be now? Nolan or Jackson?

EDIT: needless to say, I am refering to Jackson post-KONG.
you are forgetting Nolan has directed 2 of the best films since 2000 in Memento and The Prestige (bother better than LOTR IMO)

If you want a straight diretcor v director battle then Nolan wins hands down

if you wnat to start gettign into other stuff then i couldn;t really comemnt as i dont care what extras they own.
Reply 17
DirtyHarry
epic wrongness

:pierre:

Isambard Kingdom Brunel

I just checked up on Jackson and it seems he is a lot more active than I at first thought. So he will most likely make more money and more big films than Nolan. I think, though, that Nolan is more likely to become something of a poor man's Kubrick in the future.
I doubt either of them can be considered king of hollywood, but I would say Jackson tops Nolan.
Whilst I love Nolan's Batman series, I think electing him as the best of these two is premature, especially during this Dark Knight mania. Jackson brought us the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which despite being flawed is a classic for ages to come, for its scale and grandeur if for nothing else. He has also proven he can be an emotive director with Heavenly Creatures.
I thought Memento was good but a tad overrated. It wasn't amazing. The Prestige was excellent.

LOTR was just okay for me. Would you believe I've only seen part 1? I saw it in the cinema and just thought the whole thing was unoriginal-- epic but unoriginal -- and didn't feel urged to watch any of the other two (i may well get round to them one day if i have the three hours spare and am totally bored).

Latest