GoogGooglyMoogly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’ve recently got an offer from York (yay!) and I’m planning to visit soon. But I also began to wonder about the college system. I know they provide accommodation but for how long? Is the accommodation for all three years or is there pressure to rent a house with flat mates?
University of York
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GoogGooglyMoogly)
I’ve recently got an offer from York (yay!) and I’m planning to visit soon. But I also began to wonder about the college system. I know they provide accommodation but for how long? Is the accommodation for all three years or is there pressure to rent a house with flat mates?
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer! :jive:

If you're planning a visit, you might want to come along to one of our Post Offer Visit Days, which will let you get to know your department, and the University a bit better.

We offer the option of living on campus to all of our students, regardless of which year of study they are in. You can find out more about the types of accommodation we have here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommo.../rooms-prices/. If you're curious, you can also check out this section about accommodation for current students: https://www.york.ac.uk/students/acco...accommodation/.

Hope this helps!

Steph
Darelz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GoogGooglyMoogly)
You're guaranteed on-campus accommodation for the first year (as long as you apply in time). Most people choose to move off-campus after that, but you have the option to apply to live on campus in later years too. I've never heard of someone applying to live on campus and not getting it.
greghayes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
3rd year here! I lived in Goodricke college in my first year and moved into a house in second year because that's what was kind of expected. It was always that living off campus is cheaper, but that's changed now. Depending obviously on where you live and the quality of house, but for a lot of houses in York now, it's not that much different price-wise to live off or on campus. I chose to move back to campus for this year and will do the same for my 4th year as well.

As mentioned above, you're guaranteed a room in halls for first year so long as you apply on time. Of course, you have the option not to live on campus. You can choose a house, say if you have friends also coming at the same time as you and want to live together, or there's private halls like Student Castle or Vita Student (though these are much pricier than halls and houses).

Late in first term (this year it was about the first week of Dec), applications for continuing student (non-freshers) on campus accommodation bookings open. It's a first-come-first-served system but if you really wanted a room, you should be able to get one (though maybe not in your first choice college if you leave it late). I booked my room a few days after applications opened and I've already got my room number and how much my rent will be each term. I'm also living with a current flatmate again next year so you can apply to live with friends if you find someone you get along with who also wants to stay.

The point is, the choice is all yours as to where to live in any year, not just after freshers. You don't get guaranteed accommodation in halls after first year but if you know that's what you want to do, you shouldn't have an issue booking if you keep checking the website to see when bookings open.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (44)
24.04%
No, but I have thought about it (49)
26.78%
No (90)
49.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed