How to keep muscle mass while doing cardio? Watch

PiddlingFish
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi
I am currently doing a lot of cardio as I am training for a fitness test and I’ve read that this can cause the loss is muscle mass.
How would I go about keeping the muscle mass? As I’ve worked hard to gain it and I don’t want my efforts to be wasted.
Thanks
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In order to keep muscle mass you have to keep doing the thing (usually lifting weights) which made your body want to build that muscle in the first place. So don't completely drop all your weight lifting. You still need to do some alongside your cardio work. If you do that, eat enough protein and you're not in a calorie deficit, you won't lose any muscle.
roastedtoppings
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Stay in caloric deficit actually, to make sure you burn fat. Make sure u have a high protein diet with low carbs and no fat to starve the fat and use up fat stores as energy. Keep weightlifting too so u dont lose muscle
DrTSR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PiddlingFish)
Hi
I am currently doing a lot of cardio as I am training for a fitness test and I’ve read that this can cause the loss is muscle mass.
How would I go about keeping the muscle mass? As I’ve worked hard to gain it and I don’t want my efforts to be wasted.
Thanks
Calorie deficit but decrease your carb intake and increase your protein and fat intake.

Calorie deficit can be achieved by eating less or by doing more cardio or both.
MathTeacher95
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't know why people are suggesting calorie deficits....thats one sure way to lose muscle mass.

You can improve cardiovascular fitness without being in a deficit. Therefore just eat more and you'll be fine
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by roastedtoppings)
Stay in caloric deficit actually, to make sure you burn fat. Make sure u have a high protein diet with low carbs and no fat to starve the fat and use up fat stores as energy. Keep weightlifting too so u dont lose muscle
Eating no dietary fat does not make your body burn more body fat. However, it is a good way to mess up your body's hormone balance.

(Original post by MathTeacher95)
Don't know why people are suggesting calorie deficits....thats one sure way to lose muscle mass.

You can improve cardiovascular fitness without being in a deficit. Therefore just eat more and you'll be fine
100 % agree. Baffled me too. The OP's goal is improved fitness, not fat loss. If anything, eating enough food (including carbs) will provide the fuel required to train harder.
roastedtoppings
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kyri)
Eating no dietary fat does not make your body burn more body fat. However, it is a good way to mess up your body's hormone balance.

100 % agree. Baffled me too. The OP's goal is improved fitness, not fat loss. If anything, eating enough food (including carbs) will provide the fuel required to train harder.
yea misread the question srry about that ,and as for the fat, its the lack of carbs that burns fat stores (during exercise ofc) not just the lack of dietary fat which i only said so a person doesnt gain any extra fat they would need to burn off
DrTSR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MathTeacher95)

(Original post by Kyri)
I think the assumption was made that he is trying to lose fat and maintain muscle, when it appears that is not the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (362)
67.04%
No (178)
32.96%

Watched Threads