The Student Room Group

Not enough student finance

My household income last year was very high and so I'm only eligible for £4k in a student loan however my dad has recently lost his job bringing it down quite a bit and my parents only just brought their first house so nearly all our money was spent on the mortgage. Even before my dad lost his job he had to sell his car and my mum her jewellery just to buy food. The problem is that we found out that average living costs at Cambridge (where I have an offer) are about £10k a year. There's just no way my parents will be able to pay for the £6k a year shortfall. Im getting a summer job or two but that won't be enough and I can't get one now as I take 4 A Levels and need A*AA to meet the Cambridge offer.

Given my situation do you think there's anyway I can ask for more student finance to help cover the costs of uni? Sorry for saying so much about myself but I feel it's necessary in this case. Thanks in advance.
It very much depends on how much are both your parents earning in total.

E.g. If they are not employed right now, you will be eligible for full loans on tuition and living.

If they do have a job and earn over £20,000 per year than it is calculated by the student finance company how much you would receive.

Things to do:
- check Cambridge for scholarships and grants (they are well-known for it)
- Check for scholarships and grants online through other organisations,
- live below your means
- Apply for student account (HSBC) high overdraft with 0% fees until you graduate.

I would recommend you take the place at Cambridge, you will find a way to live and survive. You will not starve, "where there is a will, there is a way".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending