Can I really be allergic to alcohol? Watch

2001Cooper
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
#1
As most of us are students it’s normal for us all to feel familiar with feeling rough/hungover or being sick. But I feel my problem is severe. I can’t tell if what I do is binge drinking or if alcohol truly doesn’t belong in my body. Every single time I drink alcohol whether that be a relaxed few pints at the pub or a full night out with around 15 units of alcohol, I am sick, I throw up everything I have drank and all food from the day (gross I know sorry). When I do have a night out and drink alcohol I always stick to one drink, but the next day all my friends are fine whilst I have my head down the toilet for the next 5 hours, being uncontrollably sick and very ill. I ask myself (knowing that the ultimate answer to the question is to stop drinking alcohol) do I have some allergy where my body rejects it? Or is it my mental state and possible binge drinking tendencies that affect me. Thanks.
0
reply
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#2
Report 4 weeks ago
#2
(Original post by 2001Cooper)
As most of us are students it’s normal for us all to feel familiar with feeling rough/hungover or being sick. But I feel my problem is severe. I can’t tell if what I do is binge drinking or if alcohol truly doesn’t belong in my body. Every single time I drink alcohol whether that be a relaxed few pints at the pub or a full night out with around 15 units of alcohol, I am sick, I throw up everything I have drank and all food from the day (gross I know sorry). When I do have a night out and drink alcohol I always stick to one drink, but the next day all my friends are fine whilst I have my head down the toilet for the next 5 hours, being uncontrollably sick and very ill. I ask myself (knowing that the ultimate answer to the question is to stop drinking alcohol) do I have some allergy where my body rejects it? Or is it my mental state and possible binge drinking tendencies that affect me. Thanks.
An allergy to alcohol is more common than you think. I cannot drink red wine. I get very sick with it.
1
reply
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#3
Report 4 weeks ago
#3
If you can drink a fair quantity of alcohol before getting symptoms, and it's causing vomiting, it's an alcohol intolerance, which affects the digestive system, rather than an allergy, which is an immune reaction and very rare; you'd be talking rashes, wheezing and anaphylactic shock. Intolerance can cause people can have a bad reaction to the histamines or sulfites in drinks likes wine and beer.
1
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads

View All