Writing an essay for a module I don't understand? Watch

pancakie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I know I'm cutting this a bit late but my essay is due for Friday which is two days away, I've written some notes from lectures/seminars down and some potential theorists to add in but it's not enough to write a 2000 word essay on. I like my course (Media) but for this specific module, I just don't understand a good 80% of it and overall just find it difficult to wrap my head around. For my essay I have to do a literature review on two topics that we have studied in term 1 (I've chosen Globalisation and Media Convergence because I find those the easiest).

I'm basically just asking for some advice/motivation? What's the best route to go? Thanks
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by pancakie)
I know I'm cutting this a bit late but my essay is due for Friday which is two days away, I've written some notes from lectures/seminars down and some potential theorists to add in but it's not enough to write a 2000 word essay on. I like my course (Media) but for this specific module, I just don't understand a good 80% of it and overall just find it difficult to wrap my head around. For my essay I have to do a literature review on two topics that we have studied in term 1 (I've chosen Globalisation and Media Convergence because I find those the easiest).

I'm basically just asking for some advice/motivation? What's the best route to go? Thanks
Your doing a literature review, so id say make a plan of 3/4 subtopics for each one (just find these in the lecture/course material given to you in the lecture): Do some research on every subtopic (academic papers if possible) and outline the key issues and information you find from your reading. Given this is only 2000 words, it really wont be that much information, this is like 10 paragraphs including your intro etc.

If you spend 15 minutes making a clear plan of what every paragraph will be (given you've already studied these you should easily find some info to dig out a loose structure) the research & write up can probably be done in just a couple hours.
Slickdave
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The best route to go is to plan earlier and spend more time working on essays, and less time sitting on your butt.

The essay won't write itself.... chop chop
pancakie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Slickdave)
The best route to go is to plan earlier and spend more time working on essays, and less time sitting on your butt.
The essay won't write itself.... chop chop
Very useful, thanks!

I haven't actually been "sitting on my butt", I've had another essay to write that was due last week, so I've been focusing on that and haven't had much time to plan for this one. Really thanks for the advice I didn't need though.
Slickdave
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't worry, im sure you future employers will say "that's ok, I understand why you didn't hand your TPS report into me, I know you had another report to hand in at the same time".

hint they won't. They will say "you said in your CV you can work to deadlines, why haven't you handed your reports in".
pancakie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Slickdave)
Don't worry, im sure you future employers will say "that's ok, I understand why you didn't hand your TPS report into me, I know you had another report to hand in at the same time".

hint they won't. They will say "you said in your CV you can work to deadlines, why haven't you handed your reports in".
Some people just can't multitask, and sadly, I just so happen to be one. All I was asking was for some advice on my assignment, I don't understand why you even commented.
pancakie
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Your doing a literature review, so id say make a plan of 3/4 subtopics for each one (just find these in the lecture/course material given to you in the lecture): Do some research on every subtopic (academic papers if possible) and outline the key issues and information you find from your reading. Given this is only 2000 words, it really wont be that much information, this is like 10 paragraphs including your intro etc.

If you spend 15 minutes making a clear plan of what every paragraph will be (given you've already studied these you should easily find some info to dig out a loose structure) the research & write up can probably be done in just a couple hours.
Thankyou for the respone! That sounds really useful so I'll try and give that a go
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Get off the student room and get on with it.

Take regular breaks. Use the pomodoro method to make sure you have a break and can see how much work you've put in.

You've got a deadline and ya gotta meet it pal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?