Madz178
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
can anyone help me in thinking of some reasons and what to write about in this question
what was dickens purpose in writing the novella
i need please some detailed points of reasons why
thanks x
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have plotted out some ideas you might want to thik about.

Early in 1843, in response to a Parliamentary report on the exploitation of child labourers in the mines and factories, Dickens promised to strike a "sledge-hammer blow on behalf of the Poor Man's Child." That blow turned out to be “A Christmas Carol.”

At the heart of Carol, Dickens had an economic message: A society in which the masters are concerned only with the bottom line and take no responsibility for the general welfare is a death-dealing society.
Scrooge knows nothing about Bob Cratchit and his family; he knows only that Bob makes 15 –shillings a week and would cheat his employer by demanding a paid holiday on Christmas day.
Scrooge is indifferent to the children and carol singers he meets in stave 2
Dickens argument is that by taking no interest or responsibility for his clerk's situation, Scrooge becomes morally responsible for Bob's inability to afford medical treatment for Tiny Tim.
Scrooge's obsession with money has chained him to cash boxes and caged Tim's legs in steel.
All this hardware objectifies Scrooge's (screw, gouge) hard heart. Unless he changes, Scrooge and Tiny Tim will both die; their fates are linked.
Dickens argument is the condition of the poor is the responsibility of the rich. Although this message arose as a response to the exploitation of children in factories and mines, Dickens does not direct his Parable specifically at the abuse of working children. Tim’s crippled condition is similar to the injuries sustained by factory children, but Dickens blames people who allow ignorance and want to persist for the maimed children, not the spinning and weaving machines. Charity was needed by the society as a whole.

Yet for all its simplicity, Carol has complexity and ambiguity as well.
Even before his conversion, Scrooge is more than the stereotypical miser.
a. He enjoys taking on the believers in Christmas and revels in his own wit, asserting, for example, that "every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas,’ on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart".
b. His zest for the confrontations with Fred and the charity solicitors is not that of a man who merely prefers to be "solitary as an oyster".

However Dickens does provide some mitigating circumstance to balance his criticisms.
We learn something of Scrooge’s life.
There are suggestions of painful episodes in the past, like the death of his sister, that may have contributed to his negativism, but Dickens leaves much of this sympathy for Scrooge to the imagination of the reader.
The break up with Belle creamy affected Scrooge. Belle’s criticism centred on Her believing Scrooge was more interested in money than people.. Belle was too severe, however Scroges becoming a miser might well have originated from the moment.
Even as he weeps for Tiny Tim, Scrooge is reluctant to reveal the change that is occurring within him. So when the change do occurs in Stave 5, the climax is evocative. We share Scrooge's joy as he learns from the boy in the street, a boy he characterises as "a most intelligent boy," that he has not missed Christmas day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?