Sophiank
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve been rejected from all my dentistry offers this year. I’m in year 13 and I take biology, chemistry and maths and I’m predicted AAA. I’ve been offered to do biomedical sciences at Cardiff instead of Dentistry. I’ve done some research that I can apply for a graduate dentistry course after completing 3 years of biomedical sciences and getting 2.1 or 1.1 during the course. I’m not sure if doing this is worth it or if I should take a gap year and redo the UCAT. can anyone help me out?
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sophiank)
I’ve been rejected from all my dentistry offers this year. I’m in year 13 and I take biology, chemistry and maths and I’m predicted AAA. I’ve been offered to do biomedical sciences at Cardiff instead of Dentistry. I’ve done some research that I can apply for a graduate dentistry course after completing 3 years of biomedical sciences and getting 2.1 or 1.1 during the course. I’m not sure if doing this is worth it or if I should take a gap year and redo the UCAT. can anyone help me out?
Hmm... it depends.

You could take a gap year and improve on your results. Or you could do the biomedical degree and do Graduate entry.

You have to ask yourself whether you will enjoy biomed and will work had to get a 2.1 or first. Also if dentistry is anything like medicine then graduate entry will be extremely competitive.

Can you get feedback on your application and find out what was lacking? If you can and you take a gap year you will know what you need to do to improve.
Last edited by _Mia101; 1 year ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Hmm... it depends.

You could take a gap year and improve on your results. Or you could do the biomedical degree and do Graduate entry.

You have to ask yourself whether you will enjoy biomed and will work had to get a 2.1 or first. Also if dentistry is anything like medicine then graduate entry will be extremely competitive.

Can you get feedback on your application and find out what was lacking? If you can and you take a gap year you will know what you need to do to improve.

ecolier
nexttime
^^they may be more help
I know like nothing about dentistry

I'd imagine graduate entry is more competitive, as you'll have a whole lot of graduates looking to secure jobs able to apply, but unsure.
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I know like nothing about dentistry

I'd imagine graduate entry is more competitive, as you'll have a whole lot of graduates looking to secure jobs able to apply, but unsure.
Ah... oops :colondollar:... I think I was thinking of medicine instead of dentistry:facepalm:
Last edited by _Mia101; 1 year ago
aspireddentist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Take definitely a gap year.
Don't do another degree. I have applied as a graduate for Dentistry this year after completing a 1st class in Biomed and now on track for a distinction for MSc and still no offer for Dentistry. I have applied three times overall for Dentistry. Also, cost me so much to study 4 years.
SB304
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I completed a biomedical degree (physiology) and applied for grad entry dentistry. They love the fact you’ve committed to a degree and still want to do dentistry, obviously grad entry is harder as there are much fewer places, but it’s definitely worth it. Your undergrad will teach you invaluable skills that you can continue in to medicine and it means you have a few years of figuring things out whilst doing the undergrad before going in full steam with dentistry.

For those saying it’s not worth it/doesn’t make a difference. I’ve just received an unconditional to grad entry medicine just last night. Definitely worth doing if you want to do it, just make sure the undergrad is something you’ll enjoy learning about.

Any questions regarding applications etc, feel free to message me and I can help with UCAT strategies/interview techniques, would be more than happy to help ☺️
imonmywaytonight
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The key is whether you think you can make your personal statement stand out without the safety net of biomed.

If you don't have it in you to take on a degree and then apply for the grad route you need to really show you're committed to the cause. I wouldn't take any form of gap year where you aimlessly travel etc, but I would apply to any job slightly related to maxfax or dentistry or even healthcare - you might find it easier to join the bank as a HCA at your local hospital and wing your way in there. You need to show pure dedication to the profession - you need to know that it's not about making big cash and pulling teeth 9-5. You need to highlight what being a dentist is about, the pressures and issues within the wider NHS and dentistry as a whole. The best way to do this isn't to shadow for a few weeks and expect that'll be enough for your personal statement. It's to take on a role where you have insight and responsibility into what it's truly like being part of the dental team.

If that doesn't sound like something realistically applicable to you, then I would suggest some form of oral health/bioscience degree with a huge focus on A&P and then get your 2 weeks shadowing in that way,

My background isn't academic. I've grafted in the NHS for nigh on five years (I'm on night 4/4 as I type). When you immerse yourself in the profession, you can talk about it with authority. You can talk about how tough it is. You know the challenges. You speak with insight, rather than just regurgitating what's reported in the news.

Two very different ways of going about it, but the choice really depends on you.
PeterJones20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I am currently studying Dentistry after completing a 3 year Biomedical Science degree. I wasn’t sure if I was going to get into Dentistry or not and ended up applying solely to Biomedical Science and completed the 3 years and received a 2:1. I ended up with AAB at A-level but never felt confident of attaining the 3 As required and was nervous of interviews and really didn’t think I would get in and didn’t like the idea of a gap year whilst my friends were in uni, which was a pretty stupid approach lol. Anyway what I would say is it depends how confident you are as a person now and if you think you’d be ready to take the gap year and apply for next year. I would probably recommend doing that, but in my case I feel I really benefited from the experience of 3 years in uni, learning how to study effectively and also adjusting to going to uni too! I 100% don’t regret doing it. I have always liked science and Biomed itself was definitely interesting but I found the lab side of things quite monotonous and around the 2nd year I realised pursuing a career in it wasn’t for me. The theory was enjoyable but being honest the actual work/labs was pretty boring and not stimulating. But as I said through those 3 years it helped me grow as a person massively, I was able to travel to do charity work in a 3rd world country with my uni and allowed me to build up a really good CV, as during the summer I did work experience at dentists and orthodontists. So when it was time to apply for Dentistry at the start of my 3rd year I felt ready to go for it. Having said that the only downside is the debt you will have from completing a degree prior to dentistry and the fact that you don’t get tuition fees for your second degree so you would need to put the tuition fees every year! I applied to 4 unis and got offers for 3 of them. Notably I got offers for 3 undergraduate dentistry degrees and was not offered a place for the graduate entry degree. There was definitely a big difference between the interviews at undergraduate level and graduate level, graduate level was much harder and has a lower number of places too so can be quite competitive! In the end I ended up going for the undergrad Dentistry course at the same uni I completed my Biomedical science degree in (maybe that made me more favourable as I had already completed a degree in that uni, who knows). I’m in dentistry now and there’s a big mix of students having completed a degree/took a gap year and very few actually straight from school so don’t worry about the thought of a gap year! As well as that a good few students actually got AAB and got in first time! So again, although I felt I benefited from biomed with regards to maturing and my studying, I would probably recommend taking the gap year if youre feeling very strongly about dentistry and you’re 100% committed!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (39)
18.06%
No one else does (71)
32.87%
I'm embarrassed about my background (21)
9.72%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (73)
33.8%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.39%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.85%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.31%

Watched Threads