Do I need my job to pay for moving out Watch

samazimi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey guys
I'm pretty sure I qualify for the full maintenance and tuition loans since my household income is low enough. I currently have a part time job, I get paid minimum wage (4.35) and honestly I hate it and it takes up a lot of time which I could use revising my a levels. Anyway just wondering if I actually need the money from this job and if the maintenance loan covers everything, I think I also qualify for grants but not sure.
originalbiscotti
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it really depends, I know people who have to have a job because maintenance doesnt cover accommodation, or it covers accommodation but not food etc. If you managed to get accommodation or stay at home (paying rent or not) that was cheap, obviously it would be possible,
Living solely off your maintenance loan can be hard, Id say keep the job for now and save up! you can always put the money towards things youll need for uni, then if you needed to, maybe in a few months quit and focus solely on your A-levels if you feel that would be beneficial.
Last edited by originalbiscotti; 3 weeks ago
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You need to work out a specific budget.
Exactly what your costs will be and your income
Research carefully what you are entitled to regarding grants, loans and bursaries.
You can find out exactly what your housing costs will be.
The majority of students do work through uni. Money doesn’t last long.
If you’re not doing many hours you should stick with it and save as much as you can to take away with you.
It sounds as if your parents aren’t in a position to help you with money so the more you can save the easier it will be.
You should be able to work and study if you plan properly
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You'll find that accomodation can easily eat up £4-5k. Best to stick with the job.
FutureFinance
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by samazimi)
Hey guys
I'm pretty sure I qualify for the full maintenance and tuition loans since my household income is low enough. I currently have a part time job, I get paid minimum wage (4.35) and honestly I hate it and it takes up a lot of time which I could use revising my a levels. Anyway just wondering if I actually need the money from this job and if the maintenance loan covers everything, I think I also qualify for grants but not sure.
Hi samazimi!

The best way to work out if your loan will cover you without a job is to work out a budget.

I recommend you look at exactly how much you will need for the essentials (rent, travel, bills and food etc) and then look at how much money you will be having come in from your loan.

If it seems like there won't be enough then you may need to stick to working, but have you considered a higher paid job? Some retail jobs can pay as much as £8 an hour which could mean you could work half the time you currently do and have more time to study.

Ultimately I think it's always good to put your studies first and if you find yourself struggling then contact your student advice centre for some help and advice around money and how to best balance everything while keeping on top of your studies.

Sarah
Marketing Graduate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?