Terry Jones has died. Watch

uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
With great sadness, reported on BBC this lunchtime.

Member of the much loved and acclaimed Monty Pythons Flying Circus, he was one of the great satirists. Screen writer, film director and broad-sheet newspaper columnist, his love of history spawned several movies over the last six decades including The Holy Grail, The Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life as well as Labyrinth.

St Edmund Hall, Oxford, English graduate. Together with Cleese, Palin, Chapman, Idle and Gilliam, ushered in a new era of intelligent comedy as relevant and timeless today as it was when first released.

Last edited by uberteknik; 4 weeks ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Going to have to watch Holy Grail tonight and raise a glass.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sad day. He went to my college. I turned down the opportunity of a work trip to India many years ago. One of my colleagues went, and was sat next to him in First Class. It would have been great to have met him.

If there's a god, there's going to be some classic lines exchanged.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Odoratusque est patris redoluit bacarum sambucus

:rip:
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
I watched Holy Grail in the cinema when it was first released but had barely reached adolescence and, as a consequence, missed all of it's underlying contemporary social and class issues as well as much of the historical references and dark humour.

Was not until I'd left university myself and with a few years hard life experiences under my belt, when I revisited it on VHS and fully understood the significance of the Python movies.

Sad day indeed. Think I'll join you in that toast tonight Drew - as will countless others I'm sure.

I'd love to be a metaphorical fly-on-the-wall eavesdropping that conversation Roger - if I believed it was possible that is.
Last edited by uberteknik; 4 weeks ago
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
Odoratusque est patris redoluit bacarum sambucus

Gine pour rencontrer le perroquet.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All these heartfelt tributes...😂 😂 A bit much. As if some comedy changed all of your lives. Sad he's dead but cmon...
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Gine pour rencontrer le perroquet.
abiit ad chorum invisibilia

Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
All these heartfelt tributes...😂 😂 A bit much. As if some comedy changed all of your lives. Sad he's dead but cmon...
Wish we were all as cool as you
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sad times indeed.
Bet you're a hoot at funerals.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
If there's a god, there's going to be some classic lines exchanged.
(Original post by uberteknik)
I'd love to be a metaphorical fly-on-the-wall eavesdropping that conversation Roger - if I believed it was possible that is.
I'd prefer to think of the conversation he and Graham would have now they've been reunited.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
non deperire; Transierunt autem tuus: Deinde quod ne iustus est

:cry2:
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't underestimate the impact that a bit of happiness can have on people's lives. It lifted my day just thinking of some of his classic comedy.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 4 weeks ago
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Pythons may or may not have changed lives, but they certainly changed comedy.

(Original post by frantika)
Wish we were all as cool as you
He's not cool. He's a very naughty boy.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
abiit ad chorum invisibilia

Schismaticus!
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thoughts for his family and may he rest in peace.

About six or seven years ago I was walking between Kenwood House and Parliament Hill Fields and passed by Terry Jones who was out walking his dog, Nancy. We exchanged greetings and he spoke to his dog (hence my knowing its name).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads